Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7
I have an Airport Extreme configured with an external drive to be used by Time Machine. My MBP is used mostly for web surfing, and email, with some occasional photo editing. Tonight Time Machine says it is backing up 12.51gb. My total disk usage is only about 100gb, and I haven't added anything since the last backup. I am running Snow Leopard with a Fusion VMWare partition. I don't see how this can need to backup this much data. Anyone have any ideas? TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's not that it's backing up 12GB of added data, more so, it's backing up 12GB of rearranged data.
I wouldn't worry about it :)

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only reason I am concerned is it is chewing up my time machine drive in short order. My Time Machine backups only started last Wednesday. I have 99gb of data on my internal drive and my TM drive is already at 117gb, which puts it at almost 20% increase in 7 days.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before you start editing how often Time Machine runs I have a question. Is Time Machine backing up your Fusion VMWare files (located in the Documents folder inside your User folder)? If it is try excluding those files from future backups. My understanding is that every time the virtual machine is run there are likely to be changes made which, although small, are enough to force the file to be backed up the next time Time Machine runs.

If you need to back up those VMware files periodically, always a good idea, try Winclone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Before you start editing how often Time Machine runs I have a question. Is Time Machine backing up your Fusion VMWare files (located in the Documents folder inside your User folder)? If it is try excluding those files from future backups. My understanding is that every time the virtual machine is run there are likely to be changes made which, although small, are enough to force the file to be backed up the next time Time Machine runs.

If you need to back up those VMware files periodically, always a good idea, try Winclone.

I have to agree with you there Slydude. That is what i would be thinking and you are right in saying what you did. :)

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I am not sure exactly what to exclude from the backup, I would assume that yes it is backing up the vmware stuff also. What files am I looking for to add to the exclude list? Thx

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have those files fully functional at the moment but I think they are located in the Documents folder that is inside your User folder. There are other things I tend to avoid backing up such as the Tech Tool Pro protection files. I also exclude other files in my System folder since I tend to keep a current clone of my system around.

Here's a pretty good summary of what I know about Time Machine so far.ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine. I am sure others can chime in with things they like to exclude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mine has always been bigger than my actual internal HD used but I chalked it up to the
fact it does hourly,daily and weekly backups and there is probably some repetition going
on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Time Machine will manage its backups. Don't worry about it. Let it do its job, that's why it's there. As for how to exclude things from the backup, open System Preferences, select "Time Machine." Click "Options." A sheet will slide down with a list of exceptions. At the bottom of it will be a - and a +. Click +. Then, navigate to the folder where your VMWare images are kept. Select the folder closest to them that will encompass all of the images.

Click "Exclude."

Voila! Time Machine will no longer back up those giant disk images!

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
windows7.vmwarevm is this the file I should exclude?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not the file, the folder. Exclude the folder. Exclude the folder where all of the VMWare images are kept. That way if you make others, you won't have this problem show up again. Things work best when you do what the nice pregnant lady says and not second-guess her ;)

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
up one level is a folder called 'Virtual Machine'. is this what you are talking about?

Just for the record I was not second guessing, just confused/inexperienced<G>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That's the folder that contains the VMWare images? If it is, then yes, that is exactly what I said. :)

OP
Gottcha9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
>> That's the folder that contains the VMWare images?

Are you asking me or are you confirming it is the correct one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.