Time Machine where is my web site

Reaction score
I have iWeb 3.0.3 with a large web site on it that I maintain each month - www.wworkshop.net - This has been running on a G5 Power PC Mac with 10.5.8. The G5 has just given up the ghost, luckily - I had hoped - I have been backing up regularly with ‘The Time Machine’ onto a ‘My Passport for the Mac’. We also have in the family a G4 Power PC Mac PowerBook with 10.5.8 on it, together with an iMac running 10.6.8.
On attempting to reinstall iWeb from the back-up, first it is not recognized by the Time Machine on the G4, it is however on the iMac, and appears to be working, such that the new size of iWeb corresponds with the original - about 500MB as compared with about 30MB for the application with out the web site attached. My problem is, that when I open the back up copy of iWeb, the web site is not there, it only wants to start from scratch. I also have a second back up machine that also had an older copy of the web site on it, with in a copy of iWeb, that did down load onto the G4, but again, the size would indicate that it contains the web site, but it also only opens to start a new one.
Question.1: How do I get iWeb to cough up my web site, instead of trying to start a new one when I open it?

Question 2: Is the problem to do with moving the iWeb application from OSX 10.5. on a PPC Mac - to 10.6 on an Intel iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Question.1: How do I get iWeb to cough up my web site, instead of trying to start a new one when I open it?

Question 2: Is the problem to do with moving the iWeb application from OSX 10.5. on a PPC Mac - to 10.6 on an Intel iMac?

I believe the answer to question 2 also answers question 1. I just opened my copy of iWeb and it's version 09. Old Mac and likely an old version going from PPC to Intel looks like it isn't going to work. Maybe someone else can help but you may be forced to start over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When you produce a web site with iWeb, it makes two sets of files. If you publish direct to your webspace one set gets uploaded to there. You can also Publish to a folder for uploading later. It also saves the "originals", for want of a better word as a file called "domain".

You can find this file in Home Folder>Library>Application Support>iWeb. If you navigate to this folder in your backup, you should find that domain file. That needs to be put in the corresponding folder on your other Mac. When you next open iWeb it should then find and open it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Many thanks folks, your advice is much appreciated, after four days of copy and past, back up here backup there, on three machines, running OS X 10.5.8 - 10.6.8 & 10.10.2, I now have a new Mac Mini running the latest software with iWeb up, running and saving. check out www.workshop.net, March update. It was a struggle because there was no pathway in OSX10.10’ to where the domain should be. On the first attempt I put everything in the System Library and got iWeb and my web site back and working but it would not save, then I found the problem - The pathway to the saved web site on the my other machines that can/do save everything is: Mac HD/Users/ my name/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2 - (the last being the saved web site)

On my OSX 10.10 - The pathway is - MacHD/Users/my name/ - *(there is NO) Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites2 - it is however deep down in Terminal - I think - and if you have a Mac Geek who knows how these things work, as I luckily do, it can be found and bought to the top again. Once there, drop in the saved Domain in it’s folder and you are up and running. May be this is how Apple can get you to buy new software, and why the system gets bigger and BIGGER - it is ALL there, they just switch parts off now and then, to make you think you have somethings new, and rake in the gold. Coming from OS X 10.5.8 to 10.10 was a shock, where have all those beautiful & colourful 3C icons gone and it’s operation is no better - Come back Steve Jobs, the money men have screwed up your wonder machine again, but you are not here to save it this time around - poor old Apple - looks only good enough as a social media machine in the clouds - for the NSA no doubt - no longer the tool for the artist.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Those features aren't turned off exactly and you don't need a Terminal guru to turn them on. Up until 10.7 was released that Library folder you mentioned was visible. It is now hidden. Whether the specific Application Support folder was there or not depends upon what was installed on the machine.

IN 10.7 and higher you can unhide that Library folder and its subfolders by using one of the tips here

C

chas_m

I would STRONGLY advise you to begin the process of recreating (there's no converting) that website into a supported program -- there are a wealth of options, but if you really enjoy using iWeb then I'd suggest you look at EverWeb. Apple discontinued iWeb a LONG time ago, and any forthcoming update could permanently break it. Change over now while it is easy and comfortable, or have a lot of regret later.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you again, all advice well received - in answer to SlyDude, in my book you are a Mac geek of a high order, some people like computers, for others it is a tool - I am a craftsman & not concerned to know how a hammer is made, I just need something to hit the nail on the head with. as for Chas_m - I have already sent a note out to Everweb asking if using their application I can reproduce an identical web site to the one I have, I did check out all that was available when iWeb went down the drain, but none would - my current set up is all I need, very simple, not selling anything, just giving out information - we shall see - watch this space - thanks again all, back to the work bench and the hammer and nails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.