Time Machine in reverse?

Reaction score
I have been using Time Machine for about 18 months. Right now I am running Mavericks but some things don't work for me any more. So I'm considering using Time Machine to restore my whole Macbook pro to it's state of about 4 months ago (i.e. before I upgraded to Mavericks).

My questions are these: 1) If I do this can I get some of my more recent document (if I enter time machine and pick the right date). Or will they have disappeared from my Time machine disk.

And 2) if I change my mind right away and want to return to Mavericks and my (previously) most recent state, will I be able to do this? Or is this a one way street?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Skipping your actual questions, it might be a lot quicker and easier and time saving for you if you just mentioned some of the things that don't work - with at least a few details. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
The most serious one is a bit obscure. I'm writing some java code that uses java's MIDI package. Input MIDI events are not making it to my software ever since I did the Mavericks upgrade. I've done numerous postings on this java MIDI problem with no luck.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks. this looks promising. I'm still interested in answers to my original questions if anyone knows them
-p

Reaction score
you can downgrade but a warning if you do it requires reinstalling maverick and when you reinstall you have to format the hard drive which means you have to create a usb thumb stick for maverick to boot from once the new install has completed and the setup windows shows up it will ask you to transfer the time machine backup from a external drive select this options and wait for it to finish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Huh...??? No need to reinstall Mavericks if one is installing a previous compatible OS X version.

But a lot of updated user files can be a hassle and will possibly need to be "updated" or actually "downgraded" to work with a previous pre-10.9.x versions. That alone can be a real PITA!!

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any problem restoring your system to a particular point in time and then changing your mind. Your time machine backup will be on an external drive so it won't be wiped by restoring something. All you have to do is connect to time machine again and choose a different restore point.

Not too sure how the restored system treats backing up to the existing backup set it was restored from. I'm assuming it will either tag a new version on the end or start a new backup altogether. Either way I'd be very surprised if you lost any data over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.