Time Machine Backups / RAID

tmcjilton

Reaction score
I have just had another failure of a G-Technology drive (4tb USB-C). This is my second failure in 2 years from a G-Tech drive. I use this drive for Time Machine Backups. The drive, as well as my other external drives is formatted APFS, which is what was recommended by Apple. I am done with this brand of drive and am going to use the LaCie 2big RAID.

My goal with using a RAID setup is to have multiple backup drives in one enclosure for redundancy. What I figured I'd do is configure the drive in RAID 1 so that there are 2 copies of my Time Machine Backups, however I'm not sure if that's the best option. I am also considering configuring the RAID to JBOD and having Time Machine alternate backups between the drives. My issue here is I am unfamiliar with how the LaCie enclosure / RAID works with JBOD, is it making one volume in JBOD that I would then have to partition? If this is the case, this would not be wise as I would want the drives independent. If JBOD simply presents as 2 independent volumes, one for each drive in the enclosure, I think this option would work. Im just not familiar with how this works.

Aside from these issues, I'm concerned about what would happen if one of the drives fail in each mode. For example, if I am backing up to the drive configured in RAID 1, and one of the 2 drives fails, can I simply add a new HDD and rebuild the new drive to mirror the 1st? And in JBOD, assuming the drives are NOT presented as separate volumes, will I be able to access one drive if the other fails. Can anyone provide advice for this type of setup? I appreciate any input. I am running Mac OS Ventura (13.3.1) on M2 Max MacBook Pro.

HDDLAC3710160-1371326938.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.