Time Machine backup slow on Yosemite

Reaction score
Has anyone else found that Time Machine backups are incredibly slow once you've updated to Yosemite? On Mavericks, I'd do a back up once every 10 days and it would take about 10 minutes max. Now on Yosemite, I'm finding it takes at least 45 minutes. (the first time as would be expected, it took about 4 hours- I had done a clean install and brought my data back with Time Machine).

I do use my computer quite a bit (maybe 3 hours a day) -- but still, this seems like a very long time.

Has anyone else had this issue?
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't found any difference in the amount of time it takes to backup Yosemite than it did Mavericks. How much data are you backing up? And are you using virtual machine software such as Parallels or Fusion?

M

MacInWin

I, too, don't see any particular slow down with TM. I back up twice a day, noon and midnight, and it only takes a few minutes. (Unless I fire up Parallels, in which case it does take a bit longer to copy over the virtual machine image file.)

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi again
I am backing up about 320G of a 500G hard drive to a 1T USB drive. I'm thinking that perhaps I need to back up more often - I have been working on a lot of Photoshop stuff, working on 1600 photos I had scanned in by a service. After I posted, I left my Time Machine connected to my macbook pro, waited about 10 minutes (did some email and 1 photoshop item) and then backed up again - it only took 2 minutes. So, while it's inconvenient to hook up my time machine drive because of where it's situated and where I tend to work, I maybe just need to do the backup more often??? and no, I don't use Parallels or VM. thoughts?

M

MacInWin

LParis, how frequently you back up is more of a time/money/business decision. By default, TM backs up any file that has changed every hour. So if you have a lot of volatility and if you are in constant editing, that may be a good setting. On the other hand, if you can tolerate the risk of repeating work, or losing files, you can back up less frequently, either by doing what you are doing, manually, or by using some third party tools like TimeMachineEditor or TimeMachineScheduler. I use TME to set TM to do the twice daily backups, as I said. The only reason VMWare or Parallels makes any impact is that just booting the virtual image marks the entire file as changed, so TM backs it up. My Parallels image for Windows is about 40GB, so it takes a while to copy to the external drive!

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks, Jake - I pretty much understood the parameters of TM back ups, I've been using it for years - I was just surprised at the great amount of time required to do a back up after 10 days (my usual setting) with Yosemite. With Mavericks, with the same amount of data, my backup usually took 10 to 15 minutes even after 15 or 20 days even with the same intensity of use. It is what it is - I'll just set my TM to back up more frequently.

M

MacInWin

Was it the first backup after installing Yosemite? If so, it was backing up all the system files that changed.

OP
L
Reaction score
the first time I backed up (after I'd done a clean install of Yosemite and then brought my files back from Time Machine), the TM backup took well over 3 hours...I finally went to bed and it was done by morning. Since then, it has taken at least 45 minutes to an hour each time (as I said though I've being extensively using PS). I had the same number of files on my HD when I was using Mavericks and it never took anywhere nearly as long.

M

MacInWin

Sounds more like one or the other of the drives is showing failure warnings, or that the cable between them is throwing a lot of errors. Have you run Disk Utility/Verify Disc on either of them recently?

OP
L
Reaction score
MacInWin, I've run Disk Utilities on both the HD of the computer and my TM drive - no errors. I've also run malware and virus programs - everything is clean. I've tried a different cable as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you're not running that AV program while backing up? If you are, there's the source of your slowdown. Most AV programs will stay resident in memory and slow things down. The AV software that's used for Windows is many times more efficient than the same program for OS X and generally does not cause slow downs. And you really do not need AV software since there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. Malware yes, viruses no.

OP
L
Reaction score
I do some "virus software" but it's the same stuff I ran when I was running Mavericks which as I mentioned backed up quickly. however, I will remove it and see if that makes any difference. thanks for the suggestion.

M

MacInWin

MacInWin, I've run Disk Utilities on both the HD of the computer and my TM drive - no errors. I've also run malware and virus programs - everything is clean. I've tried a different cable as well.
Well, there is disk checking and then there is disk checking. What DU tests for is success in reading/writing to the drive. What it does NOT check for is how many retries it might take to get to that success. So you could still have a drive beginning to go south, but not yet south enough for DU to detect.

Or it could be something totally different. My backups are running very quickly on Yosemite using both TM and CCC, so it has to be something in your setup.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks, Jake - I guess I just better do more frequent back ups in case my HD is going south!!!

M

MacInWin

Do you have a second external HD? If you do, you can see if backup to that drive is faster, which will either implicate or exonerate the current external HD. If the problem follows, it's something internal or software related.

Reaction score
Bingo

Realize this thread is a bit old but it fixed my problem. I had replaced Norton AV with Kaspersky. Norton had no effect on TM speed. Kaspersky slowed TM down to 1-2 GB / HOUR. Shut it off and it's back to 28 sec / GB.

Thanks!!

Reaction score
very slow Time Machine backup yosemite

I am having this problem in my MacBook Air. The backup is to a time capsule on airport extreme. It takes about 45 minutes to back up just about 1 gb. I think this problem started after yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Better idea than shutting AV off is uninstall it and download ClamXAV if you feel you must have virus protection coming from a Windows background. Most of us here run nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.