Time machine backup problem

Reaction score
I'm gettting the following message when trying to back up my hard drive to an external 2TB G drive............

"The backup was not performed because
an error occured while coping files to
the backup disk".....the message goes on to say...

"The problem may be temporary. Try again later to back up. If the problem persists,
use Disk Utility to repair your back up disk"

I have tried the following disk utilities on the G drive:

Verify disk Permissions
Repair disk Permissions
Erased the drive

I also rebuilt my computer's system drive (the one I'm attempting to back up) just for good measure...even though I don't believe it is the source of the problem (it needed it anyway).

I have sent this G drive off for repair twice. Each time it has returned in working condition but I still get the above referenced message. The drive seems to almost complete the entire back process then this message pops up. The drive appears on my desktop and there don't "appear" to be any problems with it.....

I can back up to an internal drive fine but again the above message pops up when I try a different external drive as well....needless to say...very frustrated at this point....

I have a Mac Pro 10.6.8 Quad core.....

thanks for any help/suggestions..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the problem is occurring on more than one external drive but you can backup to an internal drive, I would start suspecting the USB or FW port you're using. Could even be a bad cable? Any USB or FW cable over 6' in length is suspect.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have used several different cables.....and just bought an esata card and I get the same problem!!??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.