time machine backup failed

Reaction score
I use a WD Passport 1tb for my time machine and it has 10gb of free space and for a week now it has failed to backup unless i restart the Mac or reconnect the HD.

I have tried to delete the "in progress" file but it won't let me delete the file.

Tried to use the first aid and erase in the disk utility i cannot perform either of these.

Downloaded the WD Utility and this does net work nothing happens.

I read some advice about opening the "console" and look at the "backupd" here is a part image of what came up but i don't no what to do with it

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 19.54.18.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You cannot safely or properly deal with TM backups from within Finder, or from outside TM. At this point, if you cannot cancel the TM backup at all, you may be forced to start all over. 10GB on a 1TB drive is not sufficient space for any meaningful operation, particularly TM. You should have at least 100GB free to be able to do anything, preferably more like 200GB. Is there anything else on the drive besides TM backups? If not, you might have a read of this and follow the links it has for more: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac...e-backup-disk-is-full-mh15137/10.15/mac/10.15 If there is stuff other than TM there that you can move/delete to get more room, TM may be able to complete and you to recover your drive access.

On a sidenote, the "in progress" is not a file, but a function within TM, accessible only to TM, which is why it cannot be deleted. If the drive is well and truly hung up, you may be forced to reformat it completely to regain access, losing the entire backup set.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply MacinWin

"If the drive is well and truly hung up, you may be forced to reformat it completely to regain access, losing the entire backup set."

I don't mind losing all data as it's not that important, how do i do a forced format.

Also would it be wise ti invest in a 2tb external HD as my Mac is 1.12tb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also would it be wise ti invest in a 2tb external HD as my Mac is 1.12tb
It's more important to have more [backup] space than your data space. In Catalina, there is an option to exclude system files and applications, which only saves 12GB. My internal SSD is 500GB and my backup drive is 500GB, but a full entire backup is only 353GB.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The general rule of thumb for TM backup drives is to be roughly twice the size of the drive (volume) it's backing up.
So if you have a 1.12Tb internal drive you would be well advised to have a 2Tb external drive for TM.
If you are not concerned about loosing the data currently on the TM backup you can just erase it and start again.
Plug it in, ensure TM is not Running. If it is plugged in already, eject it, unplug it, wait for about 60secs then plug in again.
Open Disk Utility, select the backup in the sidebar menu, click the Erase tab, rename the drive, select Mac OS Extended (Journalled) Format, if given the option to choose mapping select GUIDE Partition Map and click erase.
After completion eject again, wait 60secs, plug in and open Time Machine from the Menu Bar, Select Preferences from the drop down menu and choose the erased drive for backup.
Be aware it will take a long time to complete a new full backup. You might like to let it run overnight. Do not unplug the backup drive or shut down your computer during the process and it will get hot.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Rod took your advice and now the time machine is working fine will in the near future invest in a 2tb EX HDD

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great, thanks for letting us know. (y)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.