Time Machine back-up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Hi All,
I had my new computer for a week and had an AppleCare tech assist me in putting windows on with bootcamp. We can speak to the bootcamp problems, but my main concern at this point is saving the data I have on the Mac side ( pictures,videos, music,etc).
I had been backing everything up with Time Machine (left it plugged in to do it's own thing), but it was also plugged in while buddy was messing up my system. Will the back-up include the end result of his mistakes, leaving me nothing to use on the new computer with Migration Assistant to get my old data I want to save? ( I'm afraid the back-up will restore the multiple drives he caused trying to install windows).
Thanks
Have I posted this in the wrong section?

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Time Machine could restore whatever problems were introduced but it doesn't have to do that. Time Machine wouldn't restore amy Windows partitions that might have been created but since we don't know exactly what went wrong here's what I would do:

1. When you get the new machine create a user account with the same name and password you used on the other machine.
2. Attach the Time Machine backup to the new machine.
3. Launch Time Machine from the Dock
4. From the tick marks on the side of the screen choose a date from before the problems started.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Hey Slydude,
An update to my situation. The Apple rep had me input some "code" to terminal, and he was able to completely erase my drive and re-install Yosemite. He then used my Time Machine to restore everything without any problems. We then went ahead and installed bootcamp. He said it was a good experience for him to find a work around for this "bootcamp" issue with the 3 TB fusion drive, and he was going to submit a "paper" on his end, about this whole issue and the solution "work around" he was able to come up with.
Thanks for your input on the Time Machine restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.