Time Machine and "My Book" ceased functioning. Help/

Reaction score
The backup machine is powered up, but I get messages that say "backup failed" or something like that. Just now I got a screen message when logging on to this site that said: "Mac OSX can't repair the disk "My Book". You can still . . ." Then I didn't get the rest of it. What's happening?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How long have you had it? It's possible that it may be failing or have failed.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. A message says that it is "read only," the My Book icon keeps disappearing from my desktop. so I think you are right. The unit has failed. It is six years old. I ordered a replacement this morning. As far as i know, I don't need all those old Time Machine backups and will be satisfied to go forward from this point.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal. Good this issue cropped up when you didn't need the backups. With a new unit you should be good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Nick, while I have you, can I ask you about cloud backups as additional protection? Where would I go to find out more. Unfortunately, my iMac runs on Snow Leopard so perhaps my choices are limited.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the info on the "Apple Cloud":

https://www.apple.com/icloud/

Like you mentioned. If you're running OS 10.6.x can't do it. Need at least OS 10.7.5.

But on the plus side…I would think that there would be other "Cloud" services compatible with OS 10.6 that you could use for "Cloud Backups".:) But I don't know 100%…I haven't actually checked. Do some searching…and see what you find.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't looked at this issue in a while but here's one thing to look at while looking a cloud-based solutions. Some of the cloud based services do not back up all of the OS X system files. That simply means you can't boot from the backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Dude. I looked at "DropBox" and see it requires an OS upgrade on my part before I consider it. If I can get up to Mountain Lion, after I get a new WD "My Passport" hooked up, I should be good to go either for iCloud or Dropbox.

Randy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.