Time Capsule Wifi Strength issues in 1 BR APT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Hi guys, I am having some issues with my Time Capsule. I am wondering if its just time for a new one.

Within 5 feet of the TC I am getting WiFi speeds of 40-50 MBPS. Walking down the hall 20 feet (There are no other electronics near the TC, its on the top of my dresser and there is almost a straight shot without doors between myself and the TC) I am running between 5-20 MBPS on a Macbook Pro, iPhone is even worse. I just noticed there was a software update, but it did not help the speed whatsoever. Unfortunately the Modem has to stay in my bedroom as we have a DVD player that requires a direct wired connection.

I looked into an Wifi extension using an Airport Express but in a 1 bedroom apartment I felt that was a bit ridiculous.

Thanks for any tips in advance!

Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 8.38.48 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi guys, I am having some issues with my Time Capsule. I am wondering if its just time for a new one.

Within 5 feet of the TC I am getting WiFi speeds of 40-50 MBPS. Walking down the hall 20 feet (There are no other electronics near the TC, its on the top of my dresser and there is almost a straight shot without doors between myself and the TC) I am running between 5-20 MBPS on a Macbook Pro, iPhone is even worse. I just noticed there was a software update, but it did not help the speed whatsoever. Unfortunately the Modem has to stay in my bedroom as we have a DVD player that requires a direct wired connection.

I looked into an Wifi extension using an Airport Express but in a 1 bedroom apartment I felt that was a bit ridiculous.

Hello - first, please provide some more information, i.e. ISP, type of BB connection (cable, DSL, satellite), and what internet speed plan do you use? For myself, I have Time-Warner w/ 100 Mbps coming in via cable - you're 'bottleneck' for speed is via your ISP/modem. I own a 3 y/o AirPort Extreme router w/ 802.11n (which is likely about the same vintage and router inside your Time Capsule), thus you should be able to easily handle your ISP's input speed depending on the plan being used.

You can 'test' your router's speed in a variety of ways, but as an example in the first image below, I'm using an app on my MBAir calledWi-Fi Explorer - my laptop is in my den a room away from the router (w/ a stud/wood paneled wall & about 50 ft distance); the router has automatically selected to use the 2.4 GHz because the signal strength is better than the 5 GHz band which is also broadcasting; the router's transmission rate on the lower frequency band is 217 Mbps (twice was is needed for my ISP's signal into my modem).

In the second image using my iPad Air 2 and an iPhone app called Wi-Fi Sweetspots, at my router the device is receiving the Wi-Fi signal at around 100-110 Mbps which is what I am paying for at the moment, but when I go to my den, the signal strength drops in half; SO, your drop in signal strength, just 20 ft from the router and with 'line of sight', i.e. no obstructing walls, is lower that I would expect.

Thus, tell us about your ISP and what data rate you are using; also, I'm assuming your AirPort router is using the 802.11n protocol - check the band being used (5 GHz will drop off faster than the lower frequency), the channel, and also the transmit rate (if you do not have an app, then pressing the Option key while clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the top menu bar will provide a LOT of additional network information or you can generate a System Information report and look at the Wi-Fi entry).

In the meantime, I would suggest re-powering both your modem and router, i.e. turn off and/or pull the power plug(s), wait a little, then re-power the modem first followed by the Time Capsule. Let us know the results. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 2.08.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-30 at 2.00.52 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.