Time capsule to bounce wifi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Hi, I hope someone can help here.

I have a modem/router netopia 2247nwg sending wifi around the house.
What I would like to do is have my time capsule in a different room, pick up the wifi and then send it back out through the capsule's ethernet. Is this possible? I have looked through old posts and can't seem to find the answer.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not done it this way. I actually run a 100' cable to my TC from my primary router so that I still have gigabit speeds capability back to the server when I need it. Also gives me a 'g' network at the router for my iPhones/PS3/Etc and a 'n' network on the TC for my Macs. My TC is the first gen, so I can't broadcast separate 'g' and 'n' networks as the new ones are able.

But, yes you should be able to. When you set up the TC, under the 'Wireless Mode', there should be a setting to 'Extend a wireless network' and the 'Connect Using:' setting for a 'Wireless Network'.

Here is an image I found of the settings.
picture1lq3.png

While I think this would enable the ethernet ports also, I have not seen specific answers back as to whether the TC will do it or not. Once you get the wi-fi extended, please post back and let us know.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Ok I've got this far but when I go to the wireless tab and select the network I want, it says "the network you selected cannot be extended". why is this? can it be changed?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have read a couple of places where the manual setup did not not work, but had success using the 'Assist Me' feature with that message.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Bob and I have nearly identical setups with the exception of mine using a Time Capsule. I think I got the same message while tinkering with the setup. One thing occurs to me: Do you have MAC filtering turned on at the Netopia router? If so you may need to enter the Time Capsule's MAC ID numbers in the appropriate place on the Netopia.

Reaction score
There is likely a setting on the Netopia router that will "allow" the network to be extended. This keeps people from latching on to your network with their own routers.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well there is a section "limit wireless access by MAC address", but this is disabled.
I cant see anything else with MAC filtering.

There is a section in the configuration, Bridging-disabled. and concurrent bridging/routing- disabled. Does this have something to do with it?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I checked the manual -- which is about as clear as a bucket of swamp water. I think enabling the concurrent bridging/routing option will take care of your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Hi Jamesbtp,

It's a common problem actually, the problem is most of the time the other (wifi)router,
However what you need to do, is instead of expanding the wireless network with your Time Capsule, is to choose "Connect to wireless network"
No extending or anything,
this should do the trick right away.

Hope it helps for you!

Cheers

Reaction score
same problem

I'm having the same issue, I'm trying to use a time capsule I bought to extend the range of one network, or pickup the signal from one wireless network and rebroadcast it out as a new network. However I can only do it through ethernet which does not work for my setup. whenever I try and tell it to pickup the other network wirelessly, it tries to update the settings but then the restart fails and it doesnt update properly. I then have to manually restart and rescan until I can see it again then try something else.. nothing works except ethernet.. anyone have an idea for me?

-V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try to set the AEBS or TC to [Connect to wireless Network]
and set connection to bridge-mode
this way it will not give any IP addresses, but the "main" Router will do that.

Hope this helps you all out!

you can find bridge mode under:

Manual settings - Internet - Connection (the dropbox on the bottom)

Cheers!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jamesbtp,

It's a common problem actually, the problem is most of the time the other (wifi)router,
However what you need to do, is instead of expanding the wireless network with your Time Capsule, is to choose "Connect to wireless network"
No extending or anything,
this should do the trick right away.

Hope it helps for you!

Cheers/QUOTE]

This makes sense but the option isn't there.
Only- extend a wireless network (which it won't allow)
- Participate in WDS network
- create a wireless network.
or Off.

I checked the manual -- which is about as clear as a bucket of swamp water. I think enabling the concurrent bridging/routing option will take care of your problem./QUOTE]

I also tried this but no joy.

I really appreciate the help guys, but still stuck.
I could be doing it wrong, but tried each a couple of times.

james

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Startup Airport Utility - click Continue - Name your TC

2. Select what you want to do with TC... I want TC to join my current network... Continue

3. Next screen... I want TC to wirelessly join my current network .... Continue

4. Choose your existing wireless network in the top drop down box
Select the wireless security type in the next drop down box
Enter your network password in the next 2 boxes
Continue

5. Select "Not Now" to the Time Machine question
Continue

6. click on Update

7. You'll get a message saying it will be temporarily unavailable - click Continue

8. You should get a Successful message and a Time Machine window popup

(edit: bad news is that the ethernet ports apparently do not function if the TC is connecting via wireless rather than by ethernet to your existing network. At least, I was unable to get it to work with in 15 minutes, on a windows rig or on my Mac.)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks again bobtomay, I just did exactly as you said and setup was fine.

You are right though it won't send it out the ethernet ports, which is what I really need.

Maybe it can't be done?

Again folks thanks for all the help.

James

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you own your home, it's worth the time and effort to run a cable in the attic. Took me maybe a week's worth of research, 4-5 hours labor and about $100 to run 100' line across the house. That was dropping the cable down inside the walls at both locations with RJ45 wall jacks.

Did that a few years back and it's paying dividends now. Last year added a HTPC in the Family room and a server back in the main office, so I'm getting gigabit speeds between my HTPC and the server. Comes in real handy when you get ready to start moving 7-25 GB files around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, on my airport extreme, i have a checkbox "allow ethernet-clients"
I don't know if you have this in the TC however

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, on my airport extreme, i have a checkbox "allow ethernet-clients"
I don't know if you have this in the TC however

I did not go back into Airport Utility and browse all the options while I was experimenting. That is entirely possible. Good one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I now, i read your post earlier, so i thought lets make a nice addition to it ;)

Reaction score
Same Problem but not solving!

1. Startup Airport Utility - click Continue - Name your TC

2. Select what you want to do with TC... I want TC to join my current network... Continue

3. Next screen... I want TC to wirelessly join my current network .... Continue

4. Choose your existing wireless network in the top drop down box
Select the wireless security type in the next drop down box
Enter your network password in the next 2 boxes
Continue

5. Select "Not Now" to the Time Machine question
Continue

6. click on Update

7. You'll get a message saying it will be temporarily unavailable - click Continue

8. You should get a Successful message and a Time Machine window popup

(edit: bad news is that the ethernet ports apparently do not function if the TC is connecting via wireless rather than by ethernet to your existing network. At least, I was unable to get it to work with in 15 minutes, on a windows rig or on my Mac.)

I have the same problem, if you look at my post on https://discussions.apple.com/message/21919896#21919896 but I am not getting the problem solved. I am using Mountain Lion and it seems airport utility is a lot different. Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.