Time Capsule and Time machine Backup

Reaction score
Time machine currently backs up my whole MacBook pro. I have 200gb of photos on my Mac which I think is slowing it down. Is it possible to identify the photo files backed up on the Time Capsule and remove all photos from my Mac and only have them on the Time capsule so that I can reload them to the Mac when I need them?...or is this a very labour intensive activity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
How large of a HDD do you have on the Mac?

OP
S
Reaction score
I want to reload my iPhoto library from my Time Capsule. When I find the backup file, I can't open the correct date. If I get the correct date I can't open the back up file. How can I get the correct date and the correct file at the same time?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time machine currently backs up my whole MacBook pro. I have 200gb of photos on my Mac which I think is slowing it down. Is it possible to identify the photo files backed up on the Time Capsule and remove all photos from my Mac and only have them on the Time capsule so that I can reload them to the Mac when I need them?...or is this a very labour intensive activity?

No, the Time Capsule backup is in the format of a sparse bundle and it would be immensely inconvenient to restore 200 GB of photos or however many you need each time. It's best to copy the 200 GB of photos to another external hard drive and tell iPhoto at the same time that your iPhoto library is in a new location, the external hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.