Tiger upgrade on multiple computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I bought my Mini used on eBay and the seller included both the Panther Install CD and the Tiger CD for me to do a clean Install.

Is there any limit to how many machines I can use this CD on? I was thinking about buying a used iBook, but I don't want to have any problems upgrading to Tiger if it doesn't have that installed already.

I know, for instance, that on my Windows machine when I upgraded to XP it would only allow installation on one machine. Can I be sure it will work even if the original owner of my Mini used it, and I did as well...and possibly on a 3rd computer?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Legally you can only install Tiger on one computer unless you buy multiple licenses. In practice however, there is nothing to stop you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I bought my Mini used on eBay and the seller included both the Panther Install CD and the Tiger CD for me to do a clean Install.

Is there any limit to how many machines I can use this CD on?
Yes.
One computer.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx104.pdf
OS X EULA said:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This
License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
If you want it on more than one computer, you can purchase a Family Pack License.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DB, that Family Pack is a good deal to me at least. 5 Computers for $199. I am doing that with Leopard when it comes out. Saves $$$ down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
DB, that Family Pack is a good deal to me at least. 5 Computers for $199. I am doing that with Leopard when it comes out. Saves $$$ down the line.

But does a single license disk limit your number of instalsuses like windows does with their disks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The disc itself will not, no. Apple has not yet moved to a Serial number or activation code system. They simply expect you to follow the EULA, which says 1 installation per disc, per Apple Computer unless you buy multiple licenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I believe it will be a VERY long time before apple does an activation system. I think they are still in the 'hook' mode - get the OS to as many people as possible to make them loyal - payed or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I believe it will be a VERY long time before apple does an activation system. I think they are still in the 'hook' mode - get the OS to as many people as possible to make them loyal - payed or not.

I think it depends, in part, on how customers behave.

If Apple realizes that a large percentage of its users are pirating Mac OS X, it will likely take action to prevent it. So long as piracy is a small problem, Apple will not bother with the expense and hassle of an activation scheme.

Reaction score
Apple is able to follow through with this strategy because currently, their OS won't run (easily and legally) on a non-Mac computer. Thus, the numer of illegal installs is marginal.

Microsoft in turn loses millions of dollars thanks to software piracy. Apple basically makes up for the OS license in the purchase price of each Mac.

What I really miss the most in many places is a 2-computer license. I know a lot of people who have a desktop and a laptop and want their software to work on both computers at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.