Tiger - First impressions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Thanks Osiris, every excellent review! Makes me want to go out and buy Tiger now! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Please research properly. Widget was first developed by Apple in OS 9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
From [email protected] Tue Jun 29 21:16:50 2004
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mail-out3.apple.com (mail-out3.apple.com [17.254.13.22])
by seti.tchile.com (8.12.11/8.12.10) with ESMTP id i5U0c5CZ012168
for <[email protected]>; Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:38:06 -0400
Received: from mailgate1.apple.com (a17-128-100-225.apple.com [17.128.100.225])
by mail-out3.apple.com (8.12.11/8.12.11) with ESMTP id i5U0ogDA025906
for <[email protected]>; Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from relay3.apple.com (relay3.apple.com) by mailgate1.apple.com
(Content Technologies SMTPRS 4.3.12) with ESMTP id <[email protected]> for <[email protected]>;
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:50:31 -0700
Received: from parks.apple.com (parks.apple.com [17.248.2.22])
by relay3.apple.com (8.12.11/8.12.11) with ESMTP id i5U0oT6D017057
for <[email protected]>; Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [17.248.4.64] (wave1.apple.com [17.248.4.64])
by earhart.apple.com
(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.08 (built Dec 6 2002))
with ESMTP id <[email protected]> for [email protected]; Tue,
29 Jun 2004 17:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:50:29 -0700
Subject: Re: Shame on you, Apple!
In-reply-to: <[email protected]>
To: "l. prieto" <[email protected]>
Message-id: <[email protected]>
MIME-version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.613)
Content-type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="Boundary_(ID_uCjIp7xEBfJo+BBccOaylw)"
References: <[email protected]>

--Boundary_(ID_uCjIp7xEBfJo+BBccOaylw)
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

Excuse me, but Mac OS 9 had desktop Widgets long before Konfabulator
did. Apple was the first to use the term Widgets as well. We never
complained when the Konfabulator guys "ripped off Apple" and I think
its a bit unfair for them to be claiming we ripped them off now.

Steve

On Jun 29, 2004, at 5:33 PM, XXX wrote:

Apple,
You said it yourself:

STEALING IS BAD KARMA!

If Dashboard isn't a rip-off of Konfabulator then what is? I don't care
that much about Sherlock/Watson as both are equally useless to me, but
this it too much.

And what Phil said is embarrasing:
In response Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller told CNET: "The
goal of Dashboard isn't to be like anything else. It's not his stuff.
What we've done is ours."

Of course, you did it from the ground up. But it's stealing directly
from Arlo Rose's Konfabulator. Arlo Rose is a very famous Mac
developer. You should just buy the thing from him!

Remember, it's GOOD KARMA!

I'm a huge Mac fan and have been for the past 15 years, and I believe
this is the first time I'm so angry at Apple.

And I know I'm not the only one.

:D:D:D:D

OP
Osiris22x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
witeshark said:

That's incorrect. "Widget" is a generic programming term for any object-based code function, which was introduced back in '82 with the first development of GUI based operating systems. So don't believe everything Steve tells you.

In terms of desktop applets such as Dashboard, a little known company called Be, invented desktop widgets back in the late 80's for their proprietary BeOS to later be introduced in '93. Be was bought out by Palm Inc. several years later and liquidated...thus losing all rights and patents to Be technologies. With no laws to stand in their way, Apple developed their own version of this, for OS 9. Along came Konfabulator, which was a highly developed version that quite frankly was so drastically different, they probably should have applied for patent protection. They didn't, and thus we now have Apple's inferior copy, called Dashboard.

So take your own advice, and please do your research properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Osiris22x said:
Along came Konfabulator, which was a highly developed version that quite frankly was so drastically different, they probably should have applied for patent protection..
At least I was way closer then you and didn't accuse Apple of theft, quite frankly your reply posts to mine have been irritating and unreasonable and making my visits here more of an unhappy annoyance then a pleasant stop to post to people's questions Oh, and happy B day :rolleyes:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
d4rr3n since you must.

OMG

Object Management Group (non-profit organization that oversees CORBA)
Oh My God
Oh My Goddess! (anime)
Oh My Goodness
Oh My Gosh
Old Magazines (pulp and paper industry)
Omnicom Media Group
Online Music Group
Operational Maneuver Group
Order Management Group
Osseo-Maple Grove (two city area in Minnesota)
Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
Overly Managed Garden

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If this thread makes your stay here uncomfortable.. quit posting on this thread and enjoy the others :) Plenty of threads to choose from!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Nice review of the pre-release Osiris22x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
You guys don't have to listen but here is my personal opinion on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger:

I don't like how the Finder bar looks. It just might be me, but I hate the Apple that they redid. It just sorta looks weird in my opinion. Nothing else really seemed to change that much so my first impression is that, "Why buy it?" I started to look for reasons to buy it. I liked the Fact that Safari had a Private Browsing Mode where it would not record any history or remember any usernames and passwords. Mail didn't seem to entertain me as much as Safari did. It seemed the same except for the Smart Mailboxes which I really enjoyed using. It made it reading email from family an interesting experience.

One more point about Tiger. Who here knows about the Spotlight Search Bar? If you don't I suggest you read up about Tiger on Apples Website. It seemed that everyone enjoys that Spotlight Bar sitting on your desktop. Want to know my opinion? I hate it. I absolutely despise it and hate it beyond belief. I like the fact that it searches my hard drive really fast, I just don't like it sitting there. Getting into Indie Film Making, Screen Real Estate is precious. Also, I sorta find it a resource hog. Like my PC, it has alot of services running in the background that I don't want it too. I have finetuned my Doz Box to be extremely fast in processing apps and I have gotten rid of not used Services.

Bottom Line: There are new features that I like. Xcode also interests me. But, I wouldn't buy it not unless I wanted to take advantage of my 64 bit processor. I mean, I thought Panther was more of a leap for Mac OS X in terms of features. My school is still running 10.2.8. It may not be the latest but it gets the job done and I still like the look of it. So, not unless the G5 gets here, I am going to stick to Jaugar and Panther.

PS: I just built another 64 Bit PC so it doesn't matter to me if Tiger comes out. But, I still love my Mac and thats why its still in the shop and why I spent money on applecare.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
Troll. Stop whoring the Mac.
witeshark said:
At least I was way closer then you
No you weren't. He was correct.
and didn't accuse Apple of theft,
The fact is, they did steal Konfabulator. They did still Watson. They did steal the GUI first. They did steal that other app switching app, don't recall the name.
quite frankly your reply posts to mine have been irritating and unreasonable and making my visits here more of an unhappy annoyance then a pleasant stop to post to people's questions
Leave then. Bye, adios, avoir.

Anyway... I also got my hands on Tiger, I wasn't very impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
How can Apple have stolen Widgets when it was first made for OS 9? Anyway - if the info I get is off or faked how is that my fault? As to Tiger, that's why it's not yet out I guess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
"It's a lot more than we'd ever anticipated," said 31-year-old Silicon Valley native Arlo Rose, who with his business partner, Perry Clarke, cooked up the idea during long lunch breaks when they were both employed at Sun Microsystems. "The idea behind it was to come up with a little utility to let you do whatever you wanted to with little or no programming experience."

If the above quotation is true... and both Arlo Rose & Perry Clarke was employed by Sun Microsystems. By means of employment, they both signed a "Contract of Employment." Then I would have to tell you this... the 'Widgets' technology would be owned by "Sun Microsystems".

Why? Because under most terms of employment, especially those involving development, computer and technology there is one sections that states something like "during the term of employment any technology developed or produce during employment will remain the property of blah blah blah" in this case "Sun Microsystems"

But this contract of employment rule changed from company to company. If Sun Microsystems were a wise bunch of people they would have enlisted this sort of rule in their employment contract.

Just to through a spanner in the works....

"Rose once worked for Apple doing user interface design and was co-creator of the Kaleidoscope shareware for manipulating pre-OS X Apple user interfaces."

So... if Dashboard & Gadgets come from the idea of Kaleidoscope, could the widgets technology be owned by Apple Computers, Inc. anyway?

Source...

This is assuming that both Widgets and Gadgets are identical, from the way they are created and executed. Personally i think gadgets are completely different, but similar in function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well that just goes to show how these things are so hard to resolve to absolute truth. I'm done trying to find any answers

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
witeshark said:
How can Apple have stolen Widgets when it was first made for OS 9?
As I type this, I see no Widget for OS 9, anywhere. Apple did not make the Widget. As Osiris stated, it is a general programing term, made in 1982. Mac OS 9 was made in 1999 (correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that's pretty accurate.)
Anyway - if the info I get is off or faked how is that my fault?
It's not your fault. I doubt it is fake. Steve Jobs is just being a jerk... but that kid who emailed him was very rude.
As to Tiger, that's why it's not yet out I guess
It's not out because it has hardly been tested.

hype.it: Absolut3ly Zero (10:35:46 PM): haha, apple is gonna get sued by sun
¬ this is great
stylecode (10:36:47 PM): actually no...
¬ sun wont be sueing them
Absolut3ly Zero (10:39:44 PM): aww

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.