tiger 10.4 to leopard

Reaction score
hey everyone new guy in town!!! I have IMAC with tiger 10.4 and I went to BB (best buy) and bought SL (Snow Leopard) after reading that I could make the jump from tiger. After trying to install it I got a can not load due to some files not being able to burn????. So Im kinda stuck on what to do. I keep reading about a clean install (what ever that is). I have also looked into download leopard from online site (p2p). Can anyone help!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Apple has not authorized downloadable copies of Leopard, as far as I know. So, anything you find like that is from a bootlegger.

A "clean install" would wipe everything off the computer, and leave you only with whatever Snow Leopard installs. Yeah, I mean everything. There are no exceptions to everything. Don't ask, "Including.....?" Everything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What are the specs on your iMac? Does it have an Intel CPU? Snow Leopard can only be installed on Mac's with an Intel processor.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where are these guys coming from Nick?

OP
F
Reaction score
I have intel on it. I will stay away from that clean install. hey harry where about are you from in Australia. I was there in Feb 2008 for about 10 day on holiday with my wife

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As my avatar states Nambucca Heads half way between Sydney and Brisbane on the water and been for my hour in the surf this morning. You might well need the full SL install pack by the sound of things.

OP
F
Reaction score
I thought that buying the $29.99 packet from BB (best buy) that it would work. I read online that I could to the jump. Now I feel like a S#@! head having to go back and buy the "MAC BOX SET" for $129.99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was some talk you could do a clean install with the $29 disc but is was an upgrade from Leopard. Rumours were Apple was going to change this via Software Update. of course a clean install will wipe everything.

In this day and age suggest investing in an external drive and clone everything over with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are these guys coming from Nick?

smiley-confused013.gif

OP
F
Reaction score
is there anyway of installing without doing a clean install. Here is another idea. I have a uncle that has leopard on his imac can he make me a copy of his and then install it on my?????:Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a uncle that has leopard on his imac can he make me a copy of his and then install it on my?????:Oops:

No, no, no...no copies! You MUST have your own Leopard Install disc...no copies!

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can use the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade to do a clean install. There is no straight upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, even if you purchase 'The Mac Boxed Set'.

If you go back to Best Buy, pick up an external HDD that is greater than or equal to the capacity of your internal HDD.

When you get back, use SuperDuper to do a clone of your system to the external HDD. Then, boot off the Snow Leopard disc, format the internal HDD using Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Then do your install.

When it's finished, you'll be prompted as to whether you want to transfer data from another Mac. Use the option to transfer data from 'another volume' on this Mac. Attach the external and then you can pull all of your data, apps and settings across.

When you're done, you won't have lost a thing.

OP
F
Reaction score
hey how do I clone everything over to my external HD. And what do I clone over to it? I sounds like it's going to be my best and safes way to doing this. Is there a external HD that is as big as a internal HD. I already have one (passport) but I think it's no where near as big.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SuperDuper, as mentioned previously, will do a full clone of your drive. Everything will be backed up, and in fact, the backup will be bootable. So, if anything goes wrong, you can instantly revert back to your old OS.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks for answering so fast. I have no idea on how to do a full clone to a external HD. Will superduper walk me through it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for answering so fast. I have no idea on how to do a full clone to a external HD. Will superduper walk me through it?

Yep. Just start with a formatted drive, run SuperDuper, choose your source drive (the internal HDD) and the destination (the external HDD) and click 'Copy Now'. SuperDuper does the rest.

2010-02-08_0831.png

OP
F
Reaction score
sorry that I am such a pain in the *** but what do you mean by a formatted drive. I don't know how to id that on the computer. Is there something that I'll have to do to the mac drive (format)??. Once that is done is just a regular install or do I have to go in somewhere and delet sort files for SL to install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry that I am such a pain in the *** but what do you mean by a formatted drive. I don't know how to id that on the computer. Is there something that I'll have to do to the mac drive (format)??. Once that is done is just a regular install or do I have to go in somewhere and delet sort files for SL to install.

What I mean by that is that SuperDuper requires that the external hard drive be wiped completely clean, and that it uses a "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" partition type. So, if you've got an existing external HDD, you'll need to first erase it, using Disk Utility, ensuring that it's formatted as "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)". Just make sure that you're working with the external drive that you'll use to do your backup. If you don't have an external drive, you'll need to purchase one.

Disk Utility is located in Applications => Utilities.

See screen shot here:

2010-02-08_1023.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice helpful graphic "CWA107"!:)

That took some time to put together.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice helpful graphic "CWA107"!:)

That took some time to put together.

- Nick

A picture is worth a thousand words. And Jing makes this sort of thing very easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.