Thunderbolt problems

Reaction score
I was happily using my thunderbolt to connect my Macbook Pro to a recent TV, but after I tried to use it at another venue with older equipment, it will no longer display on the TV. Something wrong with the output, or the cable? How do I diagnose or fix it?

C

chas_m

You were actually, in fact, using the MiniDisplayPort ability of Thunderbolt to connect to the TV.

Chances are high that the display settings are now wonky from connecting it another way to a different piece of equipment -- I occasionally run across this when I have to switch among several different projectors.

First thing to do is reset the PRAM on your machine. You might need to reset the SMC as well. Following that, you should be able to set it up to work properly again by simply connecting the cable and using Display Preferences to configure it as before.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Chas_m. I went through the processes you suggested, but still no display going to the TV. Could my cable be at fault, and how could I tell?
cyranote

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.