Thunderbird works fine on my M1 Mini, but "password incorrect" on my M1 Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
I'm running the same OS (Ventura) on both of my Macs, and every T-bird setting I can find is identically set on both machines - yet the MBA can't access my Spectrum email server:

Error with account [email protected]
Sending of password for user [email protected] did not succeed.
Mail server mail.twc.com responded: invalid user name or password.​

This just happened out of the blue a week ago. Is there a file I could copy over to the Air from the Mini that might fix this weird problem? Or a well-hidden setting in T-bird that I'm just not seeing?

krs

Reaction score
Can you actually see the password on both computers or is it just a set of dots?
If only dots, maybe the caps lock key was on with one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Did you need to create a third party application password for both devices or is that not necessary for Thunderbird?
I had to create a third party app password for Spark because it accesses my iCloud email. The same password works on my MBP and my iPhone but when I added Spark to my iPad I had to create a new one for all devices.
I'm grasping at straws really because it used to work but now doesn't. Obviously something changed but what?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.