Thunderbird PC to Thunderbird Mac?

Reaction score
My Dad uses Thunderbird on his PC. He wants to use Thunderbird on his Mac. What file do I copy from his PC and place on his new Mac? He wants ALL his email and his address book.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Ok this is from memory here (at work, not a mac in sight :( ).

On the PC you need to go to c: \document and settings\username\application data\thunderbird\profiles\ in this directory you'll have another directory with a fairly random name (xxxxxx.default) and there is a file (I think it's called profile.dat) you need to copy the profile directory (xxxxxx.default) to a USB Key or something.

On the mac, open finder, on left hand side there should be a folder called Library, in this folder you should find a folder called Thunderbird followed by a folder called Profiles. Copy the profile driectory (xxxxxx.default) from your USB key to the profiles driectory on the mac.

Now this is from memory - I think there is a file in the profiles directory called something like profiles.dat - you need to open this file, you should see the name of a profile to load, you need to change the name from the one that is there to the name of the profile directory moved from the PC e.g.

[profile]
yyyyyyy.default

change to -> xxxxxx.default

Reaction score
Great answer considering you were sitting in front of a PC....

On the mac, open finder, on left hand side there should be a folder called Library, in this folder you should find a folder called Thunderbird followed by a folder called Profiles. Copy the profile driectory (xxxxxx.default) from your USB key to the profiles driectory on the mac.
The full path on the Mac is :

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/ (~ = your Home Account)

First set up a profile in the new installation of Thunderbird on your Mac. Don't set up the accounts. Then take the contents of the old profile and copy it into this new profile.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.