• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thought Provoking Question of the Day (5)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok...it seemed like with the last Thought Provoking question a lot of folks wanted a Time Machine...thus a Time Machine question. Lol

If you had to travel 100 years into the past or 100 years into the future, which would you choose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
That's a real conundrum. Is it just a look, or are we stuck there?

I fear for what our world will become with politics the way they are now - a descent into 1930s fascism, denial of climate change, rich getting richer and the poor suffering still - and am actually glad I won't live to see much of it. Equally 1919, immediately post-WW1, was a tough time to live (in the UK at least) - poverty, unemployment, no antibiotics, no NHS, few rights for women, short life expectancy.

Will the future be the dystopia of Blade Runner? I have never forgotten E M Forster's 1909 short story 'The Machine Stops' which I read when I was 15. Its prescience is remarkable: the fiction is becoming the reality. Hail Alexa! If you've not read it, there's a free download. The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster - Free eBook

We can study the past, especially the recent past, through film, photographs and contemporary writing but we can't 'see' the future with any certainty. Because the future will bring enormous advances in combatting illness and disease, I guess I would go forward.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I like the adage "What goes around, comes around" so 100 years from now is going to look like 100 years ago with more technology. :) Same problems, same attitudes, same divisions. Given that choice, I'll just stay right here.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's a real conundrum. Is it just a look, or are we stuck there?

Yes...that would be an important consideration. Let's say it's temporary (30 days, 60 days, etc.)...just a short visit to experience what life was like (100 years ago) or will be (100 years in the future).

- No going back in time to buy 1000 shares of stock...and cashing in when you return to 2019.;)
- No impregnating a female 100 years ago...and creating some sort of paradox.;)
- No assassinations of evil world leaders before their time.;)
- etc. etc.

You're just there to experience what life was like.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
100 years into the past for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'd say go back. There wouldn't be multiple clones of One More Thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nick my friend you need a full time job urgently to get away from all this 'if only' nonsense that plagues us in our old age!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.