• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

This has the meaty stink of Microsoft all over it.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/25/apple_sued_over_common_ui_element/

Anti-Apple lawsuit cites 20-year-old patent
By Tony Smith
25th April 2007 14:27 GMT

Apple is facing a jury trial over allegations it ripped off a US patent filed by Xerox way back in 1987. At issue: Mac OS X 10.4's use of tabs and other UI elements to flip between different panels within a single window.

The lawsuit was filed on 18 April in the Texas District Court by intellectual property holding company IP Innovation and its parent company, Technology Licensing, AppleInsider reports. The plaintiffs want a jury trial, damages in excess of $20m AND A BAN ON SALES OF CURRENT AND FUTURE VERSIONS OF MAC OS X.

The patent - number 5,072,412 - describes a "user interface with multiple workspaces for sharing display system objects". Think tabbed browsing, the way a single Safari, Firefox or even Internet Explorer window can flip between different web pages by clicking on the tabs at the top of the page. You can see the same effect in a range of Mac OS X user interface panels, such as its System Preferences panes.

Actually, you can see it in Windows too, and it's a feature not absent from Linux, for that matter. And even Mac OS X has had this kind of UI element in pre-Tiger releases. Linux also has virtual desktops which, it could be argued, are covered by the patent too. Apple is expected to add virtual desktop technology to Mac OS X 10.5 - a feature Apple calls Spaces.

Interestingly, some of Apple's own patents cite patent number 5,072,412, as do user-interface related patents from a number of other companies, including Microsoft, Sun and the now defunct General Magic. Clearly Apple wasn't unaware of the patent. It has yet to comment on the lawsuit, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Everyone wants some apple pie.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
If that is the wording of the patent then I was using (and writing) interfaces that fit that description way before 1987!

This is a perfect example of why software patents are just plain stupid.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I'm glad I don't have to deal with this or even worry about it, must be so annoying all these patent law suits but I suppose if you own the patent going to court is your only way of protecting it.

Not sure why Microsoft are getting the blame though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
OS/2 had tabbed interfaces too. I use tabs extensively in all my applications, so I'd better get myself a lawyer.

I don't think Microsoft are behind this at all, this is one of those nauseating "patent companies" that seek to profit from others' hard work. MS are as "guilty" as anyone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
If that is the wording of the patent then I was using (and writing) interfaces that fit that description way before 1987!

This is a perfect example of why software patents are just plain stupid.

Amen-Moses

I completely agree. The idea that people are patenting software ideas, concepts, etc just drives me nuts. It's like Amazon's one-click patent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Since just about everyone have infringed this so-called patent, why are Xerox targetting Apple specifically?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Since just about everyone have infringed this so-called patent, why are Xerox targetting Apple specifically?

The patent-suing-company is likely targetting Apple because Microsoft may have received permission to use the patent for tabs in the new IE (ugh what a terrible program), while Apple didn't. ::shrug::

OP
T

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Its not Xerox as such, its a "Patent holding company" I can just see them owned by someone who is owned by someone who is Microsoft.

Those of us out there with Linux are used to this crap from dealing with the S.C.O. suits. Microsoft funneled them money for years to try and make Linux "illegal". It finally failed after YEARS of attempts. This is the same sort of we can't beat it so lets use the law to get rid of it for us. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Its not Xerox as such, its a "Patent holding company" I can just see them owned by someone who is owned by someone who is Microsoft.

Well if that's true, it'd make for a heck of an investigative report.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I live in Marshall, TX, so I'm really getting a kick out of most of these replies ...

<_<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I bet it gets tossed....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.