Thinking of getting a removable HDD, what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey there boys & girls!!

Just a matter of opinion really, I have a 12" iBook G4 with a standard 30GB HDD. Dont get me wrong i love my iBook and think tis a great little machie. However, recently i have been doing a bit of the old video editing and have found that my HDD (of which i normally have about 15GB free) quickly fills up when i am importing DV files and editing etc...

So... in the beginning i made myself a removable HDD using a standard 80GB HDD and an external housing kit. But i dont know what the problem with it is but it just doesnt like to work and is really un-reliable. Which i cannot have when storing important files!

So anyways, i have thought about it and am looking at the following HDD:

Maxtor One Touch II USB/Firewire External HDD

The website i am looking to buy it from has it for approx £130 for the 200GB version.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or can i get better for my money?

Regards,

Chris.

M

mdscouter

I just bought the same HDD only at 120GB yesterday. It is a great idea. Loaded my hubby's games - which seem to keep growing on my Powerbook and backup up all of my files on it. The only thing I can not seem to run is their automatec backup program. I keep getting execution errors. But is very easy to install and setup as an extra drive for your notebook. Good Luck!

Reaction score
MrChris said:
Hey there boys & girls!!

So anyways, i have thought about it and am looking at the following HDD:

Maxtor One Touch II USB/Firewire External HDD

The website i am looking to buy it from has it for approx £130 for the 200GB version.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or can i get better for my money?

Regards,

Chris.

Looks good to me... I have been using an older Maxtor 120 gig USB drive as a back up drive for quite a while and it has always worked just fine. This one has both USB and firewire so it should boogie right along...

Reaction score
I have the 250GB one touch blue and silver model and it's a great drive, not yet had any problems, it just works.

Don't expect much from the software that comes with it, I tried it out a few times but didn't like it much. Not that it matters as their are lots of backup software programs out their for a small fee and for free. I'd go for it !! :cool:

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Just one more question then,

How do i get round the problem of cross-platform storage?

I use both XP and MAC OSX OS' and i know MAC cannot write to NTFS, and PC wont let me format a drive higher than 32GB as a FAT32.

Would it be a good idea to simply create two partitions? One NTFS for my Windows storage and one as FAT32 or a MAC-formatted disk for my OSX Storage needs?

I do video editing you see and it is killing my poor little iBook space wise!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Chris, :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
os x cant format as fat 32, and thats why its fat"32", only 32 gigs per partition, but its the only format xp and os x will read and write to.

H

Haddy

Macman said:
os x cant format as fat 32, and thats why its fat"32", only 32 gigs per partition, but its the only format xp and os x will read and write to.
What format does osx run?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hfs(aka mac os extended), hfs+(aka mac os extended with journaling), and unix file system(ufs)

Reaction score
Macman said:

FAT32 can support a lot higher than 32gb. The 32 in FAT32 stands for the number of bits used for cluster addressing.

H

Haddy

mynameis said:
FAT32 can support a lot higher than 32gb. The 32 in FAT32 stands for the number of bits used for cluster addressing.
After a little googling it apears that mynameis is correct. Windows just cant format above 32GB but it is possible. A few reports mentioned using partition magic to make the partition larger after creating it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.