"Thinking" noise...HD???

Reaction score
I just had my hard disk replaced under warranty because it just went out on me. I lost EVERYTHING. I got my MBP back today and it was like I opened it from the box, had to redo everything. NOW...when the computer "thinks" I hear this constant clicking. I have heard this sound before on older desktop computers and slightly on my MBP before the warranty repair, but it was super quiet. Now its really loud and annoying. The guy that fixed it at my local MAC store is really nice, but I'd dont want to go in and him be annoyed with me. I mean, after paying 3 grand for this computer, I should expect it to work like it was new, when its only 8 months old AND has a new HD. What should I do? Should I call Apple and just send it in? Should I take it back to the Apple Store here in town?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just had my hard disk replaced under warranty because it just went out on me. I lost EVERYTHING. I got my MBP back today and it was like I opened it from the box, had to redo everything. NOW...when the computer "thinks" I hear this constant clicking. I have heard this sound before on older desktop computers and slightly on my MBP before the warranty repair, but it was super quiet. Now its really loud and annoying. The guy that fixed it at my local MAC store is really nice, but I'd dont want to go in and him be annoyed with me. I mean, after paying 3 grand for this computer, I should expect it to work like it was new, when its only 8 months old AND has a new HD. What should I do? Should I call Apple and just send it in? Should I take it back to the Apple Store here in town?

Some hard drives are simply louder than others. The noise you hear is the heads moving about the disk platter. If it is extremely loud (i.e. you can hear it from more than a few feet away), it's likely just a defective replacement part. I would bring it back.

OP
G
Reaction score
I can hear it from across the room. Once in a while I also hear this scratching sound that doesn't come from the let side where the HD noise comes from, it comes from the middle. This sound is actually worse that the HD noise. Its like a scratching sound. It sounds like its going to blow up. It lasts for about 5 minutes then goes away, usually within the first 5 minutes that the computer is on. Im realy not hapy with this thing now. I will call AppleCare and see what they recommend also. They will probably want me to take it back to the store to have it looked at again. Thanks for the advice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can hear it from across the room. Once in a while I also hear this scratching sound that doesn't come from the let side where the HD noise comes from, it comes from the middle. This sound is actually worse that the HD noise. Its like a scratching sound. It sounds like its going to blow up. It lasts for about 5 minutes then goes away, usually within the first 5 minutes that the computer is on. Im realy not hapy with this thing now. I will call AppleCare and see what they recommend also. They will probably want me to take it back to the store to have it looked at again. Thanks for the advice.

Hmmmm... something is definitely not right with that drive. Let's hope they don't use refurbished hard drives as replacements.

As far as the sound from the middle of the keyboard, I don't believe there are any moving parts in that area (the battery takes up that space - and as you can see when you remove the battery, there are no components there). Either way, I think this needs to go back to the Apple store - and I'd ask for a replacement. They already had an attempt at a repair.

OP
G
Reaction score
im on the same thought pattern too. i could be wrong on that sound coming from the center. I will listen more carefully next time to pin point it. Being that I bough it online (Apple Store), will the Mac Store in my city replace it, or would I have to send it in? I didn't get a chance to call Apple Care today, definately tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I hate to sound the alarm, but I have heard similar noises from hard drives of mine. That sound has ALWAYS preceeded the failure of the drive. My advice: Back everything up ASAP and get the drive back for replacement. It is going to die. It is only a matter of time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im on the same thought pattern too. i could be wrong on that sound coming from the center. I will listen more carefully next time to pin point it. Being that I bough it online (Apple Store), will the Mac Store in my city replace it, or would I have to send it in? I didn't get a chance to call Apple Care today, definately tomorrow.

My understanding is that an Apple store will honor the manufacturer's warranty regardless of where you bought it. Although I haven't had to use my warranty (knock wood), I get the impression from other posts I've read that this is the case. When you speak with AppleCare, I'd definitely pose the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive noticed if the new drive is not put in just the right spot with that metal bracket, it will make much more noise.

ive also noticed "keyboard pops" when the unit gets warm and cools off...

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, my first drive alreay went out and I lost everything. So im sitting here with a computer with nothing on it that makes noises. So i wouldn't bother me none if I had to send it in, since there is nothing on it anyway that I need. im calling AppleCare today to see what the say.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.