There goes my contingency plan ....

Reaction score
Oh well, you learn something everyday .... you can't pop your pre-upgraded RAM back into your Mac.

I upgraded the standard 512Mb X 2 that came with my iMac to 1GB X 2, that I bought from Crucial.com.

I just put the 512Mb X 2 back into the slots and my iMac wouldn't boot ... just a flashing power light on the bottom right.

There's my contingency plan blown out of the water ... I was going to put the original RAM back in the machine if and when it needed to go in for repair ....

It does make sense that once the machine starts utilising the 2GB RAM it just can't do operate in the new sense when it only finds 1GB installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That should work without any problems. Have you tried each stick individually to see if maybe one of the sticks has gone bad?

And changing the ram doesn't void your warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
OP
N
Reaction score
That should work without any problems. Have you tried each stick individually to see if maybe one of the sticks has gone bad?

And changing the ram doesn't void your warranty

What I did do was to swap the 2 X 512MBs around but that still gave me the flashing sleep light.

I will try mixing a 1 X 1Gb with a 1 X 512Mb ... is that what you mean trpn?

I know changing the RAM doesn't void the warranty, it's just here in frontiersville I feel a contingency plan is needed to fend off any blaming of the 3rd party RAM or Software as the culprit of any problems I may have - if the techs put any faults down to the above then there's the chance I could have a fight on my hands, that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Try each 512 stick alone, to see if it boots up with one, but not that other, so you can tell if you have a single stick that has gone bad.

OP
N
Reaction score
OK, I'm back ... I tried each 512Mb module ... individually, each worked fine but together ... forget it. I tried them in different slots too.

Then I put my 2 X 1GB back in and received the blinking sleep light! I swapped the 1Gb modules around and was able to boot.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you tried resetting the pram between boots with new memory?

pull power, battery and memory
hold power button for at least 5 seconds
replace memory, battery, power

OP
N
Reaction score
The RAM wasn't new, it's just my fan is blowin' a gasket and I wondered if I popped the original RAM back in, would that make a diff.

I think I read somewhere about 3rd party RAM and increased fan activity.

I'm not sure if I still need to try your tip, eric?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i guess "new" was the wrong word to use - replace with "different configuration". ;)

it's just a shot in the dark, but perhaps for some reason the system is expecting something it's not seeing from config to config.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
This is quite strange, I would think it would boot as normal. Anyone else try this yet?

OP
N
Reaction score
I tried one of the original 512Mb modules in the top slot only and my iMac C2D booted fine. Then I removed the module and tried the other 512Mb in the bottom slot and it also booted fine. Then I put the 1st 512Mb module back in and tried to boot but recieved a flashing sleep light ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it should work with the original RAM as well, so I'd just stick that in and send it in. Let them know that it won't boot up at all any more and they'll figure it out.

Or just leave the 2 Gigs in there - upgrading your RAM doesn't void your warranty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Well it should work with the original RAM as well, so I'd just stick that in and send it in. Let them know that it won't boot up at all any more and they'll figure it out.

Or just leave the 2 Gigs in there - upgrading your RAM doesn't void your warranty!

No, but if it's 3rd party it gives them something to blame as the cause of the problem and a possible reason for not fixing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.