The "Switcher's" Thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
switches.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That is inCredible! :p

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
The "Micro Switch"

And for the computer geeks among you guys...
here's one for you!

microswitch.jpg

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And all you user's are comparing:

diet-apples.jpg

And
Oranges

When in fact i should be like for like....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
**** good - yeah - Apples and oranges! YO! nice one!

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's your common PC:
magnoval.jpg

And here's our beloved Mac:
transistors.jpg

P

pcjabber

Heh, vacuum tubes and transistors (even a photo-transistor there, I think) Gotta love 'em. However, a Windows PC isn't old, its just a non-working copy of an Apple. ;)...Since Macs could do things 10 years ago that Windows PCs still can't perform all that well ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That is extreme! Well done! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I think what you all fail to realize is that PCs are superior in nearly every way. They are faster, cheaper, and have a broader base of upgrades and accessories. The problem that you're all undoubtedly referring to, is Windows. Not the PC hardware itself.

Mac OS X was the only reason I switched, and Windows is the only thing I dislike about the PC platform. The day I installed Unix on my PC was the day I realized how much more my computer was capable of, when it didn't have Windows holding it back.

So please, if you're going to blindly bash, at least try to bash the right thing, hmm?

P

pcjabber

Osiris22x said:
I think what you all fail to realize is that PCs are superior in nearly every way. They are faster, cheaper, and have a broader base of upgrades and accessories. The problem that you're all undoubtedly referring to, is Windows. Not the PC hardware itself.
Exactly True!!!!
osiris22x said:
Mac OS X was the only reason I switched, and Windows is the only thing I dislike about the PC platform. The day I installed Unix on my PC was the day I realized how much more my computer was capable of, when it didn't have Windows holding it back.

So please, if you're going to blindly bash, at least try to bash the right thing, hmm?
True, but GENERALLY, PC = Windows....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The G4 - G5 boards are amazingly fast and efficient

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey don't for get the IRQ limitations... that's hardware based!
Nothing to do with Windows it self.

D

d4rr3n

Osiris22x said:

I couldn't agree more.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about the thing with the BIOS? And the sad fact, it's susceptible to venerability when a virus targets the BIO's CMOS... by flashing itself to the motherboard? Is this also a Windows based Problem?

How about, actual hardware incompatibility when you use certain combinations of motherboard, graphics or video cards, sound/audio cards, modems, networking interfaces, various brands of hard-drives, tape streamers, backup devices etc. together and nothing seems to work? I mean, not even the default loader screen for the BIOS setup, doesn't appear?

I suppose those are also Microsoft's problem too? And you can blame Windows for the problems, too! Huh?

IMHO, the PC system have many problems and windows doesn't help with the problem.

D

d4rr3n

hype.it said:
How about the thing with the BIOS? And the sad fact, it's susceptible to venerability when a virus targets the BIO's CMOS... by flashing itself to the motherboard? Is this also a Windows based Problem?

How about, actual hardware incompatibility when you use certain combinations of motherboard, graphics or video cards, sound/audio cards, modems, networking interfaces, various brands of hard-drives, tape streamers, backup devices etc. together and nothing seems to work? I mean, not even the default loader screen for the BIOS setup, doesn't appear?

I suppose those are also Microsoft's problem too? And you can blame Windows for the problems, too! Huh?

IMHO, the PC system have many problems and windows doesn't help with the problem.

How about the fact that you actually have a BIOS and can get into it and change whatever the specs are on your computer. How about the fact that you indeed have total control over YOUR HARDWARE THAT YOU BOUGHT. How about the fact that you can use this to overclock your system and get in some cases OVER A 50% INCREASE IN PERFOMANCE. Ability to adjust things in your BIOS is a GOOD THING. Many motherboards have a dual bios system in case of emergencies, and i've never heard of anyone that had a virus attack their BIOS. There are very few instances of hardware incompatabilities as you described. If you are getting these things you dont know what you are doing and shouldn't be building a computer, or you bought second rate equipment of questionable quality from a no name brand company. If there are any incompatability problems they are clearly listed on the companies documentation or their website. And with mac's you dont have this problem because.....you can basically count the number of these type of devices available for upgrade on one hand.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey man... i have nothing bad towards PC's, I'm just giving my opinion. You know?
So you shouldn't need to be so defensive about your loveable PC, i'm sure it's a great machine... Some of use prefer our Mac's. It's not something that's going out of fashion anytime soon. I'm sure i'll be here 50 years from now.

Personally, I'm not a Microsoft supporter... but a wintel box is really handy for the likes of web-site testing. And the One copy of Windows throughout China, is almost true.

I'm just stating hardware incompatibilities do and will happen in a non standardised world of OEM parts (Mac's use the same parts, actually. The only really difference is the logic-board and CPU type.)

They are however built to a certain degree or quality, some factories have no filtering system for conditioning the air so it's free from possible contaminates. Exported goods, so in your high street PC shop are the one's that make it to US FCC standard. However in China, you can buy cheaper alternative products. There's nothing wrong with a well build system selected from recognised manufactures. Problem arise when some people build sub-standard systems from cheap parts. How stable the system is, depends on your work load.

D

d4rr3n

hype.it said:
Hey man... i have nothing bad towards PC's, I'm just giving my opinion. You know?
So you shouldn't need to be so defensive about your loveable PC, i'm sure it's a great machine... Some of use prefer our Mac's. It's not something that's going out of fashion anytime soon. I'm sure i'll be here 50 years from now.

Personally, I'm not a Microsoft supporter... but a wintel box is really handy for the likes of web-site testing. And the One copy of Windows throughout China, is almost true.

I'm just stating hardware incompatibilities do and will happen in a non standardised world of OEM parts (Mac's use the same parts, actually. The only really difference is the logic-board and CPU type.)

They are however built to a certain degree or quality, some factories have no filtering system for conditioning the air so it's free from possible contaminates. Exported goods, so in your high street PC shop are the one's that make it to US FCC standard. However in China, you can buy cheaper alternative products. There's nothing wrong with a well build system selected from recognised manufactures. Problem arise when some people build sub-standard systems from cheap parts. How stable the system is, depends on your work load.

I'm not trying to be defensive, just giving my opinion as well. We should be able to freely give our opinions and discuss things without people feeling like it's a personal attack or an attack against the respective systems. The OPINION i was trying to give is that i would rather have a hardware configuration that gave me unlimited options and paths of upgrade and the ability to fine tune it to my liking.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
d4rr3n, what I am hearing is you prefer a wintel box, because you can tune it to your liking. The Apple products (which are good computers), just don't give you that ability. That is one of the reasons, that plug and play works better.

As a tool, both systems serves their purpose well.

D

d4rr3n

rman said:
d4rr3n, what I am hearing is you prefer a wintel box, because you can tune it to your liking. The Apple products (which are good computers), just don't give you that able. That is one of the reasons, that plug and play works better.

As a tool, both systems serves their purpose well.

Well, no i dont prefer a "wintel". I dont like windows and i dont like intel =P. I would prefer an amd64/os x box, but unfortunately that is not an option presently :mad: .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
PC hardware is usually cheap made and thats why it doesn't cost as much and i don't like windows either :mad:

I'm sure there is keys you press when turning a mac that has a bios like thing called open firmware :confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.