• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

the OFFICIAL what do you drive thread!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is my new baby, picked it up right before Christmas, love it:

00000340.png

How are you liking the CVT in it? Been considering trading the '11 Pilot for something a little better in the luxury department, but nothing extreme, and not in a rush for anything. Something in the $40k range with a nice ride and interior, 7 seats, awd, and has to be something reliable. Will be waiting for the new MDX, Tahoe/Suburban, Highlander, and Armada to come out before doing anything. The interior of the new Pathfinder(with the wood accents) looks good imo.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How are you liking the CVT in it? Been considering trading the '11 Pilot for something a little better in the luxury department, but nothing extreme, and not in a rush for anything. Something in the $40k range with a nice ride and interior, 7 seats, awd, and has to be something reliable. Will be waiting for the new MDX, Tahoe/Suburban, Highlander, and Armada to come out before doing anything. The interior of the new Pathfinder(with the wood accents) looks good imo.

Love the CVT. Very consistent, smooth power delivery. The engine goes right to the sweet spot and hangs there until you back off. I haven't towed anything yet, but it has a dedicated tow mode and I'm curious to see how it adjusts the response. But for casual driving, it's just so smooth. You get back into a regular automatic and it feels downright primitive.

We (my wife and I) are big fans of the CVT, despite what the press has to say about them. We've had one in our 2010 Legacy and it sold us on the tech. Longevity is a concern as they are not really serviceable (i.e. you don't rebuild a CVT, you replace it), but for the amount of time we keep our cars, that shouldn't be anything we ever need to bother with.

The interior in this thing is really a big selling point, especially over the Pilot/Highlander. It's downright plush in comparison and not far off from the appointments in the JX (its cousin). Ride quality is also far and away better than the Pilot.

I'm a big time Honda fan, though I have occasionally strayed when they didn't have what I was looking for - and that was the case this time around. I was never much of a fan of the Pilot's styling since its redesign in '09. The dealer more or less sold me on it with his claims that cylinder cutoff was going to deliver respectable MPG - but it didn't. Not even close. So far, this thing has delivered a solid 18MPG for my mostly around-town driving, and that's with only 2500 miles on the clock AND in cold weather AND with using the remote start (a lot). So, I expect it to hit its EPA estimates with no problems this summer - the same could not be said for the Pilot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xenon, 7 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 10.6.8
What I Drive

A 2007 Miata Grand Touring soft top. Previously a 92 Miata black and tan special edition; sold in 2008 w/ 160,000 miles when bought the used 07.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"/2.5GHz/8Gb/1Tb - iMac 21.5"/2.7GHz/8Gb/1Tb
A 2007 Miata Grand Touring soft top. Previously a 92 Miata black and tan special edition; sold in 2008 w/ 160,000 miles when bought the used 07.

Miatas are so much fun! Great choice my friend! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Love the CVT. Very consistent, smooth power delivery. The engine goes right to the sweet spot and hangs there until you back off. I haven't towed anything yet, but it has a dedicated tow mode and I'm curious to see how it adjusts the response. But for casual driving, it's just so smooth. You get back into a regular automatic and it feels downright primitive.

We (my wife and I) are big fans of the CVT, despite what the press has to say about them. We've had one in our 2010 Legacy and it sold us on the tech. Longevity is a concern as they are not really serviceable (i.e. you don't rebuild a CVT, you replace it), but for the amount of time we keep our cars, that shouldn't be anything we ever need to bother with.

The interior in this thing is really a big selling point, especially over the Pilot/Highlander. It's downright plush in comparison and not far off from the appointments in the JX (its cousin). Ride quality is also far and away better than the Pilot.

I'm a big time Honda fan, though I have occasionally strayed when they didn't have what I was looking for - and that was the case this time around. I was never much of a fan of the Pilot's styling since its redesign in '09. The dealer more or less sold me on it with his claims that cylinder cutoff was going to deliver respectable MPG - but it didn't. Not even close. So far, this thing has delivered a solid 18MPG for my mostly around-town driving, and that's with only 2500 miles on the clock AND in cold weather AND with using the remote start (a lot). So, I expect it to hit its EPA estimates with no problems this summer - the same could not be said for the Pilot.

Thanks for the reply. We're decent Honda fans too, with 4 new Hondas since 2005. I don't mind the CVT in my 2013 Accord Sport. The CVT has came along way from models as little as just a few years ago. I was also sold on the CVT when driving the Accord...managed 36mpg city driving around 35-40mph where the speed limit was 35.

As for going back to automatic seeming primitive, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm also getting tired of paint issues with Honda. I swore my Accord will be my last Honda for a while. Our 3rd straight Honda with paint issues. Actually in a dispute with Honda corporate to replace my car, or do a straight hood swap with another model that is already factory painted. I lost all patience with them. Get a new car, that isn't even 4 months old yet, and have to have it repainted due to manufacturer defect, and just sit back and take it. Take a loss in value, and pretend like everything is just peachy? No. Not dealing with their crap again. Frustrate the daylights out of me because the new Accord is awesome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the reply. We're decent Honda fans too, with 4 new Hondas since 2005. I don't mind the CVT in my 2013 Accord Sport. The CVT has came along way from models as little as just a few years ago. I was also sold on the CVT when driving the Accord...managed 36mpg city driving around 35-40mph where the speed limit was 35.

As for going back to automatic seeming primitive, I know exactly how you feel.

They have come a long way for sure. The whine that people used to complain about is non-existent in Nissan's CVT and just barely perceptible on the Subaru. Now that more mass-market vehicles like the Accord are featuring them, I have a feeling it won't be long until they start to supplant the popularity of traditional automatics - especially with the latest CAFE standards.

I'm also getting tired of paint issues with Honda. I swore my Accord will be my last Honda for a while. Our 3rd straight Honda with paint issues. Actually in a dispute with Honda corporate to replace my car, or do a straight hood swap with another model that is already factory painted. I lost all patience with them. Get a new car, that isn't even 4 months old yet, and have to have it repainted due to manufacturer defect, and just sit back and take it. Take a loss in value, and pretend like everything is just peachy? No. Not dealing with their crap again. Frustrate the daylights out of me because the new Accord is awesome.

I haven't had paint issues with Honda, though it does certainly seem very soft. I had my first few nicks in the paint on the Pilot within the first week - just from highway driving. I added a bug deflector pretty darned quickly after that.

What I have noticed is that panel fit has become sub-par, with big, uneven gaps on some body panels. Also one of my Hondas had a loose-fitting door that would creak against the weatherstripping as it aged and became less supple. The quality and attention to detail just seems to have gone downhill - not that Honda is alone in this regard. I looked at a few Ford Edges when I was shopping for a new SUV. One of them had a door that was mounted incorrectly and threw the body lines off - it was blatantly obvious. A number of others had orange peel so bad, you could detect it from across the lot. Scary stuff for an automaker that wasn't too far from the brink of bankruptcy just a few years ago. You'd think the line workers would care a little more about the integrity of their jobs since the company is just starting to get back on its feet.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just back from the auto show. Came home with this:

IMG_4626.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Now I am seriously jealous! :p

Congrats on the Vette . . . can I drive it sometime?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, in my dreams.

Soon as I can get the guy that owns it to loan it to me, I'll make a road trip.

Only drag, the cars I've had in my top 3 just based on my research and before seeing any of them are still in my top 3 after seeing them and sitting in about 50 different cars today. I was hoping I'd find something cheaper than $35k that I would like. I may end up getting the same car / newer model that I have now for the 1st time ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, one of the best cars I have ever had, just about to turn 200,000 with no major problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Bought this Honda Accord new in 2000. This pic is a couple of years old and it's a little worse for wear now, but it's still going strong with 101,000 miles on in it.

Emerald Green exterior, tan leather interior, EX V-6. It's been a very good car and I intend to drive it until the wheels fall off. Or until I see in person one of the new 2014 Corvettes. In red. :D

Untitled.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.