"The Next Web" banner popups!

Reaction score
Hi there. Having problems with getting on the Apple forums so I thought I would ask here. All of a sudden several times a day I am getting this momentary banner touting "The New Web" in the upper right corner of the iMac. It comes up and slides off the side. This thing is on the mac desktop, not on a web page. It's up where your email notifications and reminders pop up. I have no clue why this is happening and do not even recall visiting their site. It's driving me nuts kinda. Any ideas? (new mac running mavericks)
Thank you

Reaction score
You or someone may have allowed push notifications from somewhere.

Check:
Safari > Preferences > Notifications
and
System Preferences > Notifications

OP
T
Reaction score
You or someone may have allowed push notifications from somewhere.

Check:
Safari > Preferences > Notifications
and
System Preferences > Notifications

Went to system prefs and sure enough this "The Next Web" was there. I switched it to alert style 'none'. The odd thing is that I have had this new mac a couple months now and this morning was the first time I saw that banner flash by and I'm on this thing a lot. I'm curious as to how it even got there in the first place. The only other item in there besides this one that is not mac specific is one called "Variety". Strange.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Went to system prefs and sure enough this "The Next Web" was there. I switched it to alert style 'none'. The odd thing is that I have had this new mac a couple months now and this morning was the first time I saw that banner flash by and I'm on this thing a lot. I'm curious as to how it even got there in the first place. The only other item in there besides this one that is not mac specific is one called "Variety". Strange.
Thanks!

I've also ended up with notifications from various places I sure never asked for or accepted if they even provided an invite, and it's a PITA and no way of deleteting the unwanted ones other than using the None option. Really stupid IMHO!!!

Waste of bandwidth as well.

Why isn't there some sort of unsubscribe option or have I and many others just not discovered how??? :(

Reaction score
The odd thing is that I have had this new mac a couple months now and this morning was the first time I saw that banner flash by and I'm on this thing a lot. I'm curious as to how it even got there in the first place.

Has anyone else used your machine?

OP
T
Reaction score
Has anyone else used your machine?
Nope. I'll have to check and see if any more land in there. Like I said except for those two oddballs I found in the prefs all the rest look to be part of the mac system.

Reaction score
You probably have adware, which is becoming a huge problem in the Macintosh world.

Fortunately, you can easily and inexpensively fix the problem.

Download and run:

AdwareMedic (free)
AdwareMedic

Please let us know what it finds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Possibly it has come with something innocent you have downloaded in the last few days. Follow Randy's advice with AdwareMedic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.