The need to update Firefox browser now

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I came across this recently posted article by OS X Daily which might be of interest to those who use Firefox as their browser.

One quote from the article:

"Keeping web browsers up to date with the latest version is almost always recommended for security purposes, and right now that’s particularly important with Firefox because the US Department of Homeland Security has acknowledged a Firefox security exploit that could cause the takeover of a targeted computer and is thereby urging Firefox users to update to 72.0.1 (or later) right away."

The article can be found here: How to Update FireFox on Mac

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thank you Ian for the heads up. I have to use FF on a couple of sites. Will check now and see what version I have installed.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Great to see you back, Dennis.

Ian

M

MBAmtloin

I was reading that the security break only effects PC and just an upgrade to 72.01 which Firefox should have performed will remedy this issue.
this week i read a few article about how Iran will cyber attack our computers in their headline, but the article just stated that the problems were few and after several government applications.
My point is to keep your guard up but don't read too much into these Malware and protection headlines that screen doom and gloom while the articles are lame and non-informative.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great to see you back, Dennis.

Ian

Great to be back and stress free! I checked my Firefox and it had the latest so I guess I am safe.

krs

Reaction score
I came across this recently posted article by OS X Daily which might be of interest to those who use Firefox as their browser.

Thanks for the heads up!

I use FireFox as my default browser, but I hat updating it every time a new version comes out because I invariably loose a bunch of auto logins.
For some reason not all of them, but enough to make it annoying.
So I typically only update every third or fourth issue.
But in this case 72.0.1 - here it comes.

M

MBAmtloin

I used Opera as a secondary browser behind Edge and Safari on 3 devices until early this month were i switched to Firefox until this morning were the Chromium Edge took over on everything i own. That browser does everything faster and finally views my HTML drafts im creating in expressions.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Randy you may not have seen this from Troy Hunt: ...

I had not. Thank you Rod!

Most of the folks that I've heard from who do not like Brave (and there are very few of them), have been unhappy with Brave's alternate ad program.

The thing is, that program is entirely optional, and it's BRILLIANT. Quality content depends on payment. Brave offers a system to encourage quality content without us being subjected to unlimited ads.

I really like Brave. However, I really like this close competitor of Brave's also. The two are constantly being updated and they keep leapfrogging each other:

SlimJet (free)
Fastest web browser that blocks all ads and protects your privacy - Slimjet

Competition is a wonderful thing!

krs

Reaction score
I was pretty positive about Brave when I first used it at the beginning of last year and started a thread here back in May 2019
Brave Browser - Ready for Prime Time?

But for my daily use, even today, about a year after I started to use Brave on and off, there is still too much capability missing that I use every day and the browser isn't as polished as it could be.

Randy 0 SlimJet is new to me, I will certainly try it - thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.