• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
Question for our non Canadian readers….or even Canadian ones….are you a fan of Poutine…..and if so, what is your favourite style.
I like Poutine, full stop! It can be any style :)

But, I did find a place here in India that had Poutine on the menu and I ordered it with great hope. Unfortunately it was only my hopes that were high, not the poutine itself. As expected they did cost-cutting in the quantity of cheese.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2013 27" stuck forever on Catalina
And it seems that the admins have not screwed up your membership like a certain other site.

How are things in your part of the world???

- Patrick
=======
Yeah, looks like I have been spared :)

Things here are as good or as bad as everywhere else I suppose.

I swapped my nice decently fast well-handling car for an Offroader (Mahindra Thar, a blatant Jeep Wrangler ripoff but more capable than that actually) and am well into off-roading now :). My _mid-life_ crisis has come in a little late I guess heheheheh.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi Patrick, too bad if it is closed.

It looks like there are lots of places taking over its place and with some added variety and even one with an Michelin Restaurant Award that sounds and looks delicious, especially if one likes Montreal type smoked meat and good poutine:

SumiLicious, a deli housed in a Scarborough strip mall, was the only one of the 30 acknowledged restaurants located outside of the city’s core. It picked up a Bib Gourmand—an award given to restaurants where a two-course meal and dessert or a glass of wine costs less than $60 per person—for its Montreal-style smoked meat and poutine.

I just wish there was a place similar to this that's closer to home here.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I knew some of these…..
They claim California rolls, Cuban Lunch, and Hawaiian Pizza, but not Canadian Bacon?!! o_O
What about French Fries, Brussels Sprouts, Polish Sausage, Hungarian Goulash etc. ;)

By the way, Option-: will give you …
Try it! (y)

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
They claim California rolls, Cuban Lunch, and Hawaiian Pizza, but not Canadian Bacon?!! o_O
What about French Fries, Brussels Sprouts, Polish Sausage, Hungarian Goulash etc. ;)

Try it! (y)
We’ll let Belgium and France fight over who originated the fries...... my money is on Belgium.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all. Dull and dreary here today, T-bangers on the horizon with threat of hail....ouch!

We have Butter Toffee coffee on served with Sour Cherry Crepes with a nice Rum Creme... takers.

Was Burger and Movie Night last night. Saw The Woman King... i’d rate this as a Good film...not great but good. Well laid out , script was predictable, acting was within expectations.... action scenes were very nicely done. Well worth the time and money to see.

My thought of the day.... while extremely difficult to do sometimes...we need to understand we all have, at sometime or other, in our lives rough patches which lay heavy on us.....
730D1451-E9B6-45DD-9536-26CB5DBA5C09.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

Try it! (y)
All sound great no matter what the origin. Except Hawaiian pizza of course ;)

that’s a big nope here.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
All sound great no matter what the origin. Except Hawaiian pizza of course ;)

that’s a big nope here.
Hi Groove, I don’t get the dislike for Hawaiian, in many places they serve pineapple with ham...aka. Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think ham and pineapple is a good combo, it's combining that on the cooked tomato sauce pizza that is a turn off for me. When there's supplied pizzas I usually head for the pepperoni NY style (as close to) as I can find.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I think ham and pineapple is a good combo, it's combining that on the cooked tomato sauce pizza that is a turn off for me. When there's supplied pizzas I usually head for the pepperoni NY style (as close to) as I can find.
Groove, there are many styles…NY, Detroit, Chicago, and Windsor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Groove, there are many styles…NY, Detroit, Chicago, and Windsor.
def NY for me. Or, Italy if possible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
EDIT:
Oh, I get it and what you were referring to, "option + -" will give one an Ellipses, not exactly the same as 3 periods in a row, provided the option is available and provided in the font being used.
Sorry, that's Option + :
I think in some apps when I've typed three . in a row, it changes it to an ellipses, that is, one character. Using the Option + : you'll get it as a character to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, that's Option + :

Hmmm...??? I wonder when and what Mac OS version change this.

On my iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.5 [option + = ≠]

To get the ellipses, I need to use [option ; = …]

Have a look here:
Press Option ; to insert the ellipse using the U.S.-English keyboard layout.

I just thought I would mention that there seems to be a bit of a difference between our Macs. ;-)

Have a look using your keyboard viewer and see what it shows when you press the option key. It should show the ellipses on the corresponding key that is used when the option (alt) key is pressed.

So just how did we get onto this topic in the first place??? Hmmm...??? ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To get the ellipses, I need to use [option ; = …]
Yes, that is what he said, Patrick. But in post #855 you said
"option + -"
Which was incorrect. Hence, the correction to you to use the Option key AND the ; key at the same time. I personally don't think it matters too much if you refer to it as the ":" key or the ";" key, but if you do press Option-Shift and that key you get something entirely different -> Ú

As for how we got here, like any thread, it wanders all over the place…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is what he said, Patrick. But in post #855 you said

Oops... I guess I could use a proof reader... But I could have sworn it was originally a - character that was first mentioned. But my eyes are failing even if they did have some surgery recently to help improve things. ;-)

And a standardized way of writing the keyboard strokes would probably help, as several sites include the plus sign "+" to indicate an addition key is required, others may not:
(e.g. option + shift + k = 

What I wasn't completely aware of was the difference between the US and UK keyboards and the position of some keys and it seems that American and UK keyboards have a number of surprising differences, as noted at the same site.

A few obvious differences as noted at that site are the characters: £, #, €.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.