• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, welcome to the Gather Inn... a friendly spot on the web were one can drop in have a virtual coffee and treat to start your day.

It’s a dull day here in Windsor Ontario, temps to hit 14c if we are lucky, but very very windy...I mean strong gusts...... why does it always get gusting on garbage or recycling day...the hunt will start in an hour or so....

Today we have a fresh batch of Butter Toffee coffee served with our famous Banana Split Sundae cake.... sugar rush for sure....

Speaking of Rush..... while there are a number of 3 piece bands in the music world...is it my Canadian bent or are they not one of the best true 3 piece bands of all time....discuss amongst yourselves.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi @rps

From many years ago, I knew Windsor quite well. Perhaps not as well as London, Hamilton and Toronto - all places where I did service, learning my trade.

I guess much has changed since then, but your very mention of Windsor and that whole part of Ontario brought back happy memories.

I know this has nothing to do with "Gather Inn", but it's "off topic" which means that I can ramble on about anything vaguely related to your post. Only wanted to say that I was well received there and thoroughly enjoyed my experiences over the years.

Normal Services now resumed.

Ian

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Hi @rps

From many years ago, I knew Windsor quite well. Perhaps not as well as London, Hamilton and Toronto - all places where I did service, learning my trade.

I guess much has changed since then, but your very mention of Windsor and that whole part of Ontario brought back happy memories.

I know this has nothing to do with "Gather Inn", but it's "off topic" which means that I can ramble on about anything vaguely related to your post. Only wanted to say that I was well received there and thoroughly enjoyed my experiences over the years.

Normal Services now resumed.

Ian
Hi IWT, on the contrary the Gather Inn is where we can share our experiences…much like you would over a cuppa in a coffee shop. So, if I may, what did you do here? i‘ve only lived here 10 years or so. I retired from a large company and came here to teach ESL…I have since retired from that. I may not be the best to talk about the changes here..but in recent years there has been a huge influx of people here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Speaking of Rush..... while there are a number of 3 piece bands in the music world...is it my Canadian bent or are they not one of the best true 3 piece bands of all time....discuss amongst yourselves.
I might be inclined to agree there. I saw them in person during the "Roll The Bones" tour. The security people moved me from seats that were nosebleed adjacent to seats that were in the seventh row just right of center. Unfortunately, a dog tore my souvenir shirt off the clothesline and ruined it.

I also got to see three gents from Texas in the same venue. You might know them as ZZ Top. I've heard they aren't half bad either.:)

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I might be inclined to agree there. I saw them in person during the "Roll The Bones" tour. The security people moved me from seats that were nosebleed adjacent to seats that were in the seventh row just right of center. Unfortunately, a dog tore my souvenir shirt off the clothesline and ruined it.

I also got to see three gents from Texas in the same venue. You might know them as ZZ Top. I've heard they aren't half bad either.:)
There have been a number of really good three piece bands…I often wonder where Triumph sits in this…no question ZZ Top were outstanding, Hendrix was a three piece, Buddy Holly was a three piece…but you don’t hear Triumph‘s name.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Hendrix in person. In fact, I didn't become a fan until I heard his rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" well after I became an adult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Cool thread! There was just a great Triumph documentary recently, a must see for any fan.

Reaction score
I like Rush, but they’re not easy to dance to, what with all the odd time signature changes and what not. Maybe “New World Man.” Technically the Who were also essentially a three piece band, though they overdubbed a lot. One of my fave three piece bands was The Police, especially in the early years, when they were somewhere between punk and white reggae.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I'm not quite old enough to have seen Hendrix in person. In fact, I didn't become a fan until I heard his rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" well after I became an adult

Slydude, to me his Band of Gypsies was his greatest catalogue of music.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I like Rush, but they’re not easy to dance to, what with all the odd time signature changes and what not. Maybe “New World Man.” Technically the Who were also essentially a three piece band, though they overdubbed a lot. One of my fave three piece bands was The Police, especially in the early years, when they were somewhere between punk and white reggae.
I liked the Police, but I think Sting took over .... also like Rush and Triumph the Police had one of the most underrated guitar player of the era.

Reaction score
I liked the Police, but I think Sting took over .... also like Rush and Triumph the Police had one of the most underrated guitar player of the era.

Andy Summers was very inventive. So was Stewart Copeland. So was Sting. Three amazing musicians in one band, but a lot of tension too. Some amazing music came from their collaboration.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, it is a bit grey here in Windsor today....so to brighten your day we have our famous Whisky hinted coffee and to nosh on our much coveted breakfast burritos....

Watched “King Richard” last night...it was okay. We usually go to the movies once a week, when Covid restrictions allowed. Looks like we will be watching The Lost Island this Tuesday.

I think the two best movies I’ve seen this year were West Side Story and The Outfit. Both were superbly casted, acted, and produced...nothing over the top and not a weakness anywhere. Best films are certainly debatable...so wondering what you thought was the best film you saw this year.......

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Andy Summers was very inventive. So was Stewart Copeland. So was Sting. Three amazing musicians in one band, but a lot of tension too. Some amazing music came from their collaboration.
I think the issue with the Police was they did nothing flashy...so only players realised how difficult their stuff was to try and play.

Reaction score
Morning all, it is a bit grey here in Windsor today....so to brighten your day we have our famous Whisky hinted coffee and to nosh on our much coveted breakfast burritos....

Watched “King Richard” last night...it was okay. We usually go to the movies once a week, when Covid restrictions allowed. Looks like we will be watching The Lost Island this Tuesday.

I think the two best movies I’ve seen this year were West Side Story and The Outfit. Both were superbly casted, acted, and produced...nothing over the top and not a weakness anywhere. Best films are certainly debatable...so wondering what you thought was the best film you saw this year.......

Watched CODA a couple days ago with the wife. Awesome moviefilm! Really makes you consider what you take for granted as a hearing person, like music. Def recommend.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Watched CODA a couple days ago with the wife. Awesome moviefilm! Really makes you consider what you take for granted as a hearing person, like music. Def recommend.
Freddie I agree, I thought it was a wonderful movie....and I think we are prone to take a lot for granted like hearing, seeing and mobility....the old saying “until you’ve lost it” certainly applies....this gets into the concept of “self” and our perception of it.....the many ares that we are.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
It’s approaching lunch time here at the Inn.... Windsor is known for its style of pizza...but here is one a little different for you to try...

Personally I am a fan of Hawaiian pizza...yum.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I am a fan of Hawaiian pizza...yum.
Of course you are. It has both pineapple and bacon. What's not to like?

As far as great bands goes something occurred to me a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was my idea or whether I heard it somewhere. It first occurred to me about great athletes but could be applied to anything: You know you are in the presence of greatness if the one you're watching takes a thing which you know to be difficult/impossible and makes it easy.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Of course you are. It has both pineapple and bacon. What's not to like?

As far as great bands goes something occurred to me a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was my idea or whether I heard it somewhere. It first occurred to me about great athletes but could be applied to anything: You know you are in the presence of greatness if the one you're watching takes a thing which you know to be difficult/impossible and makes it easy.
Slydude that is very true I think. Another take on this, and I heard this from an athlete is that you know greatest when you don’t have to mention the name…such as 99…..

I notice you have Louisiana as your location…. always wanted to head down that way.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on down. I'm sure you will find something interesting to do. One of our tourism industry commercials used to say something to the effect of "Louisiana, say things you've never seen before".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.