• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Gather Inn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
That is rather interesting...
What happened after that...??? Did they lock it up in some secure vault so no average U S citizen could use it???

And then again, according to Wikipedia:

But I guess they threw that act back into the Secure Vault as well where it generally remains unused by most US citizens to this day.

Strange considering all its advantages...

And really amazing is this map:

- Patrick
=======
The metric system is used in the scientific field in the US. Oscilloscopes use the metric system as well as most other scientific measuring systems. Hospitals and pharmacist use it although human weight and produce are still measured in pounds. Agree metric system and temperature measuring system (celsius) makes much more sense. I blame the Brits!

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, wild night last night with thunderstorms and ark worthy rain, but not as hot today.....but more rain coming.

Would love to send some to the fire laden areas in B.C. And our Southern neighbours.

It’s strange how the weather seems to split the countries in two....one side so dry it’s a powder keg and the other, sadly, burdened with floods.

Might do a burger night tonight..... Guinness will be pleased as we split a burger at his meal time.

My thought of the day.... I believe this is so true....funny but I think, in our woke society, we stress diversity in everything but thought. Not getting political here, but I’ve noticed many companies, groups and organisations all seem to cater to similar thinking individuals.....to those who are the outliers....I salute you.

B9F43F83-52EE-4883-AE70-1F962F9DA51F.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Might do a burger night tonight..... Guinness will be pleased as we split a burger at his meal time.

I know you have to watch your diet and your fat content, but it is getting harder and harder to find decent ground beef such as ground-Chuck that has a decent % amount of fat such as a 80/20% mix.

All the decent meat stores here seem to insist on selling extra lean, or leaner than lean that tends to make the burgers rather dried out and tasteless from what they could be, especially when cooked on the BBQ.

The last few times I have had to ask the butcher for some regular ground beef hoping it has a decent amount of fat included, or even ask for a custom grind with extra fat, and at one point he said there is barely enough fat included with the cuts they get already to make a decent grind with a decent amount of fat.

Oh for the good old days when beef fat didn't have such a bad reputation and a much better flavour.

Enjoy your burger tonight.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
I know you have to watch your diet and your fat content, but it is getting harder and harder to find decent ground beef such as ground-Chuck that has a decent % amount of fat such as a 80/20% mix.

All the decent meat stores here seem to insist on selling extra lean, or leaner than lean that tends to make the burgers rather dried out and tasteless from what they could be, especially when cooked on the BBQ.

The last few times I have had to ask the butcher for some regular ground beef hoping it has a decent amount of fat included, or even ask for a custom grind with extra fat, and at one point he said there is barely enough fat included with the cuts they get already to make a decent grind with a decent amount of fat.

Oh for the good old days when beef fat didn't have such a bad reputation and a much better flavour.

Enjoy your burger tonight.

- Patrick
=======
Hi Patrick, I usually use extra lean or lean on the BBQ, sometimes lean ground sirloin.... I’ve become so accustomed to it I prefer it to regular or even medium. What I’ve been noticing is a lot of ground chicken or turkey...which I am not a fan of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I’ve been noticing is a lot of ground chicken or turkey...which I am not a fan of.

I have noticed that as well.

My wife bought some some time ago which was a bad mistake and hopefully will never occur again.

The chicken cooked in her small Ninja air fryer is delicious, moist and crispy. I have been quite amazed how good the food is that comes out of that machine.

I have even used it to make some beef jerky as it has a dehumidifier setting. It also turned out quite well.

- Patrick
=======

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score
Morning all, will be hot and wet here in Windsor this weekend.

Well I finally bit the bullet and started to toss out some of my lesson plans and resources.....ouch! But it has to be done, I’m not inclined to teach anymore...and none of my children are interested in following in my footsteps.

It’s funny how thoughts pop in your consciousness..... as I was sorting I remembered a reading I had selected during my Masters studies.... it was on “the Self”. I am a proponent of “Multiple Self Theory”.....that is .... in the course of our lives we adopt the expectations of societal roles.

I used this concept in my ESL classes.... it created much language usage.

So I have lost the “self” that was a teacher.... I suppose that through our lives we acquire many selves. As we age we adopt others, however we also shed some as well.

I’m wondering if this a contributing factor in why many seniors can sometimes feel lost...as they begin to shed some of their selves, and the wondering of who they really are......I guess time will tell............and say did you see that Mets game last night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Ive often made burgers with ground turkey and they're great. I dont know about ground chicken however, Im sure there's a use for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Groove, I find the best way to BBQ a turkey burger is to put a 2 inch steak on top.

:app :laugh And maybe one that hasn't been excessively trimmed of fat... :wink

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Groove, I find the best way to BBQ a turkey burger is to put a 2 inch steak on top.
I think it depends on the recipe. I’ve had some bad turkey burgers.

have to be up at 4am to be downtown for an mri for neck/shoulder. Got a cancellation last minute so not sure if I’ll sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have to be up at 4am to be downtown for an mri for neck/shoulder. Got a cancellation last minute so not sure if I’ll sleep.

Wow... That's sure early in the morning for an MRI, but it's nice that they are keeping the machine running and have proper staff to keep it that way. They are marvellous machines and I hope they can find something that they can hopefully fix without too much trouble.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook

Was going to say hope it isn't too serious but of course neck/shoulder pain is very unpleasant. Hubby had shoulder replacement surgery a few years ago. After about a week he was good as new. They don't even do therapy on them. Not rotator cuff surgery is supposed to be much worse, especially the PT afterwards.

OP
rps

rps

Reaction score

Hope things go well Groove....I think you were fortunate to get a call on a cancellation. My wife finally got her scan after being bounced ..a 6 week delay...and that from a scheduled one she had to wait almost a year for...so timing is everything...and as I say good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
The metric system is used in the scientific field in the US. Oscilloscopes use the metric system as well as most other scientific measuring systems. Hospitals and pharmacist use it although human weight and produce are still measured in pounds. Agree metric system and temperature measuring system (celsius) makes much more sense. I blame the Brits!
What happened with Apollo 13 and the divergent measurements?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hope things go well Groove....I think you were fortunate to get a call on a cancellation. My wife finally got her scan after being bounced ..a 6 week delay...and that from a scheduled one she had to wait almost a year for...so timing is everything...and as I say good luck.
I’m good, I didn’t sleep much as I had to be up at 4am. Man the staffing is bare bones, but I got it done. Yea I’m lucky. It’ll take a while for the results too probably, hopefully not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man the staffing is bare bones, but I got it done.

Luckily it only takes a single staff member to manage the MRI and the patient, while the machine does all the picture taking and work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the machine could actually do pretty well everything on its own. When I had mine done, it was the machine telling me when to hold my breathe and to start breathing again. I don't know what the operator was actually doing, but often there was only a single operator.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had none of that, she just said stay still. I did my best. It was just the cervical spine so just 25 minutes. I think I fell asleep at one point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What happened with Apollo 13 and the divergent measurements?
I think you are mixing up flights. Apollo 13 had a tank blowout, no problems with measurements. But there was a flight to Mars that was supposed to soft land, but crashed because of a miscommunication between teams when one team used English units (feet and pounds) and the other used metric. It burned up in orbit. Flight was the Mars Climate Orbiter, in 1999.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are mixing up flights. Apollo 13 had a tank blowout, no problems with measurements.

Yes, something to do with their oxygen tanks and generators blowing up and malfunctioning.

There were some miscalculations at some airports as I recall that affected some airliners that didn't receive enough fuel to complete their schedule flight properly.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.