The continuing Yosemite saga, successful albeit unexpected conclusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
After 5 trips to the Apple store and 3 trips of the computer to the repair facility, 3 Logic boards, 2 Airport cards, various cables, dozens of hours of diagnostic programs and lord knows what else, the guys at the Apple store became as tired of me as I was of them. Toady, they gave me a new computer. Frankly, I was floored, but at least if this happens again, I'll know what the problem ISN'T.

The new computer has a clean install of Yosemite.

Here is the link of the last thread where we left off.

Thanks everyone for your help.

ken

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...g-yosemite-saga-just-wont-run-my-machine.html

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes…this is what Apple does. If it reaches a point where Apple has tried multiple attempts to fix things…eventually they call it quits…and just give you a new unit. Congrats on the new computer!:)

So is the new computer performing as it should?

- Nick

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Nick, it seems to be be running fine so far, but the only thing on it at this point is the OS. It's pretty quick, hasn't crashed in 10 hours and the wifi appears to function as well.

Fingers are crossed.

ken

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good deal!:)

- Nick

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This stuff is just getting too complicated and confusing for me.

First of all, I'm glad I have two back-ups. Apparently something went awry with time machine, because when I look at it in Finder, it's missing about 250 gig. If I go to reboot from the back up, it isn't even listed when I click on the back up file, it says there are no OS X back-ups available. Oh well, I did do a back up with CCC, but no idea how do get THAT data from point A to point B

I see all of the files on the back-up drive. When I open the CCC program, it won't allow me to transfer those files from the back up drive to the destination drive. I get an error message that says "Ownership is not enabled on WD Back-up", so it cannot be copied, as a whole, to your startup disk." It won't allow me to transfer INDIVIDUAL files. Of course I OWN it, I have the receipt LOL.

The CCC back-up was on Mavericks, the computer is now using Yosemite.

Transferring all of those files manually is going to be a pretty tedious process.

For the record, the computer is running great. I think the clean install was the key. No issues with crashing OR with the wifi dropping out.

ken

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give the CCC forums a quick look to see if there are any reports there.

One thing to consider is whether you have updated CCC to work under Yosemite. The Yosemite clean version is 4.02

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give the CCC forums a quick look to see if there are any reports there.

One thing to consider is whether you have updated CCC to work under Yosemite. The Yosemite clean version is 4.02

Can't find a forum dedicated to CCC.

Yes, Yosemite friendly version of CCC (4.02)

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
So that's where the refurbs come from.

M

MacInWin

This stuff is just getting too complicated and confusing for me.

First of all, I'm glad I have two back-ups. Apparently something went awry with time machine, because when I look at it in Finder, it's missing about 250 gig. If I go to reboot from the back up, it isn't even listed when I click on the back up file, it says there are no OS X back-ups available. Oh well, I did do a back up with CCC, but no idea how do get THAT data from point A to point B
TM backups are NOT bootable, so that's normal behavior. Also, it does no good to look at the files in the TM backup with Finder because of the way TM stores the data. The easiest way to get your files back from TM is to use Migration Assistant. At this point, because you have already created a user account, MA will restore your files to a different account, but you can move them from there to a shared account and then to your account. The copy back from the TM drive to the internal drive will take a while, but the moves won't take long as they are not copying the data, just changing the directory locations. If you want to do that, let us know and we can provide step-by-step directions

I see all of the files on the back-up drive. When I open the CCC program, it won't allow me to transfer those files from the back up drive to the destination drive. I get an error message that says "Ownership is not enabled on WD Back-up", so it cannot be copied, as a whole, to your startup disk." It won't allow me to transfer INDIVIDUAL files. Of course I OWN it, I have the receipt LOL.
That's not what ownership means. In OS X, each file has an "owner" who has full privileges for that file. In most cases, that's either YOU or the SYSTEM. So when it says you don't have Ownership enabled, that means that the drive to which you copied your files using CCC was not formatted for OS X (which preserves ownership), although it was formatted in such a way that OS X could use it but ownership was lost. Not sure why CCC won't let you copy them back, but it doesn't matter, CCC just automates a copy process that you can do manually, and not very painfully. If you want to do that, here is how:

Open the CCC drive in Finder, locate the backup folder. If you want the folder itself select it, but if you want the folders inside that folder, open the outer one and select all the folders you want to restore. Right click and choose "Copy." If you selected a lot of files, wait a few seconds for it to get the list of what to copy made. Now go to the folder in which you want all that stuff to appear and right click on it and select "Paste xxx items" and wait. It will take a while to copy, particularly if you have a ton of stuff. It will show a progress bar so you know how it's going. The copy will take the exact time as CCC would have as that is all CCC does anyway.

The CCC back-up was on Mavericks, the computer is now using Yosemite.

Transferring all of those files manually is going to be a pretty tedious process.

For the record, the computer is running great. I think the clean install was the key. No issues with crashing OR with the wifi dropping out.

ken
Version doesn't matter to copy/paste. It should work. And it's not tedious if you can copy them in a batch as I have described.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was being silly about the "ownership" comment.

I know that TM back-ups are not bootable. It doesn't really matter at this point. I have a clone of my machine BEFORE this all began, which I can boot directly too if needed. If I look at the file size of the Time Machine in finder however, it is missing nearly half a terabyte of data. A non issue, since everything appears to be intact on the CCC remote drive back up.

I dragged my music and photos to the new computer. I emailed myself all of my bookmarks. Right now, this computer is running better than the other one ever did. I'm reluctant to start clogging it up with stuff I rarely use. If I DO need something, I know where it is.

Frankly, this entire process has been a royal pain. I don't wish to do it again. I do appreciate everyone being as sympathetic, indulgent and helpful as they have been. I have a 1st generation kindle that does 95% of everything I need to do. Still works great. Computers have gotten WAY to complicated for me to feel comfortable with them.

ken

M

MacInWin

Yeah, not everybody knows about "ownership" but I did figure you were being humorous. I posted so that someone who doesn't have a sense of humor would know. Frankly, I actually laughed out loud at your comment!

I'm glad your new machine is working so well, and I do think you are being wise in not loading it down with stuff until you need it, and doing so one at a time will help you know if it was the last thing you loaded that changed performance.

One last comment, my observation is that while computers have gotten complicated, they also have gotten simpler. OS X is based on a variant of unix, and I remember configuring unix servers in the 1980's was a royal pain, and we never had graphic interfaces as a default. The idea of downloading and simply running a complete OS update was unthinkable. So, yes, they are complicated, but also they are much more user friendly (most of the time).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.