• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The AI revolution is gaining refinement..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With recent advances of AI, we're seeing it being integrated into many many things. Siri, Alexa, "Hey Google" started us on a journey of doing things with our voices, and what started out as simple aggregators have gotten smarter.

Humane is trying to make AI accessible in a very simple way through their AI Pin.

I'm definitely excited to see how these technologies evolve over the next few years. As a long time fan of sci-fi, things that were literally fantasy about 20-30 years ago, might start slowly becoming reality.

I'm still not holding my breath for the Star Trek transporter to become a reality in my lifetime, but who knows. 😃

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
AI sure is gaining momentum. The only area in which I might claim some knowledge is medicine; particularly in relation to interpretation of images, most often radiological.

There are real difficulties to be recognised and dealt with. For example, if AI is used to read an image and comes up with a defined diagnosis - what if it's wrong and the examining doctor sides with the AI and the patient suffers; who carries the can? Not AI, it's a computer. Doctor to blame.

Image analysis; interpretation of an ECG/EKG; classification of tissues in a pathology exam etc.

AI is hear to stay; but the legal responsibility resides with the physician. The way forward is for AI to be treated as an adjunct to assist the doctor, but the ultimate responsibility lies with a human being. Take my word for this, it's a huge challenge for medics who take the blame if they are wrong, but get no credit when they get something right if the AI said it first.

Ian

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ian,

Agreed. AI has a long way to go to make life threatening decisions. The way to think about this is (if you remember) the early 90's and the speech recognition. When Dragon Naturally Speaking came out, it was really bad at recognizing anything. The user had to spend countless hours talking to it so that it could recognize your speech as well as the words you were saying.

Compare that to the natural language systems now and it's leaps and bounds beyond in what it can recognize with little to no training and so on.

I worked on a veterinary diagnostic device that uses different types of "snaps" to test for different diseases. You put a few drops of some liquid and then insert it into this device, the device would read a small QR code to know what test was inserted, trigger the test and then watch the window where dots appear indicating the status of the disease being tested.

The first iteration that I built for this company was to do all that but leave the decision to the Vet based on a timer. The second iteration was to use computer vision and retain the results of the test on the screen (with a guess as to pos/neg result) for the Vet to validate. Eventually, with enough successes (like 90%+) the goal was to allow the machine to detect the results and record it as such with no Vet intervention/validation at all.

As far as blame goes, that's something we need to figure out right now and the human overseeing the AI is always the responsible party. Think of all the self-driving cars right now, if it causes/gets into an accident, the driver behind the wheel is responsible for not having prevented it. Negligence on their part is further penalized.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.