• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thankful for Windows XP security!

Reaction score
After a few months lying dormant on my office floor, today I needed a file on my HP notebook. Well, darned if I couldn't remember the password!

Luckily, a quick search of the internet showed me how to:

1. Start in Safe Mode
2. Log in as the Administrator (with no password)
3. Reset the password
4. Log in normally again

So thank you, thank you Microsoft for putting XP security right where I needed it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Hahaha, very good find Todd!

Reaction score
How is that any worse than booting a Mac off of the install cd and resetting the password? At least with XP you would have been kept out if you had set the admin password.

Reaction score
Yes, I don't to see how you not setting a password for the admin account is a Microsoft specific problem. A security system is only as good as the user who admins it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
ToddG, could you post the link showing how to do this? I am buying a vintage PC with the aim of restoring it. It comes from a liquidator (take in corporate baggage, sell it cheap). It has Win 2000 on it, and of course it won't go beyond the password prompt. If there is another way in, that would be great. Else I have to wipe it and start fresh. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
After a few months lying dormant on my office floor, today I needed a file on my HP notebook.

Why were you lying dormant on your office floor? ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All the STOCK XP Home OEM installs I have seen on Name Brand machines are usually set up that way. No password on the Admin account. XP Pro is not that way though by default like Home is. I always go and put in an Admin password to keep people that know XP well out of the system. In this case though that would have kept ToddG out of his own HP notebook!! To me it's not a real issue since it can easily be fixed, but should be if your machine is around people you do not trust.

There are ways to get the password if you forget it but most cost $$$. I found a Linux boot CD that claims to allow you to change the Admin or user password on any XP system, but after 10 trys on my Compaq AMD 64 notebook it did not work.

I appreciate OSX's approach so at least one can get into their machine if they have the CD/DVD that came with the machine if they forget their password. Just keep the Install Media away from people!

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
mac57: Don't know if it will work with 2000 or not, but for XP Media Center (which is what's on my HP) I just held down F8 while the computer booted up, chose Safe Mode, and then logged in as username "Administrator" with a blank password.

As for the comparison to OS X, I don't think it's quite the same. Most people don't walk around with an OS X install/boot disk. But almost all of us walk around with a finger capable of holding down the F8 button. :batman:

M

MacHeadCase

Being completely Windoze illiterate and very proud of being so, *LOL*, what does the F8 key do? Does this bypass the security?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
MHC...F8 held down when re booting loads safe mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.