text file

Reaction score
I am new to mac ,someone please help me how to create a text file in mac . or tell me what is the extension of text file and what is the method to create it

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
TextEdit is your friend (it's in /Applications/Utilities). Note though that it defaults to rich text. If you want plain text, go to Format > Make Plain Text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
And please suggest me how to create .sh file also

A .sh file, as you call it, has a few more ramifications than just a text file. Assuming that you know how to write an executable script, after you write and save the file, you have to make it executable. That isn't a big deal and you can't really hurt anything if you get it wrong, but you need to learn a little about scripts, how Unix (the underlying engine of OSX) uses them, and how to manipulate them.

And, by the way, the system doesn't care if you call it myscript.sh or just myscript. The OS doesn't use or care about file extentions, although the GUI will use them to help you keep up with what they are for.

The main problem for script newbies is that eventually they wonder why their machines seems to be so slow. And it is because they probably have one or more scripts looping in the background that they forgot about, or one that has an infinite loop bug. Again, it isn't a world stopper. You can kill them, or, a la windows user, reboot and they will be gone.

Try something like this.

Scripting Mac OS X - O'Reilly Media

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.