terminal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
i have a mac book pro, and i was wondering how would i open a terminal in 10.49 tiger OSX ??

thanks-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

First thing I do with a new Mac is drag it to my dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

First thing I do with a new Mac is drag it to my dock

:eek: but terminal is scary!

It has all that sudo pico chmod tar -xvf stuff in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Nah. I've been a Unix geek for twenty years. Terminal isn't scary, it's awesome... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
as long as you don't:

rm -rf /

You'll be fine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks for that Ride - that is an aweomse app to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks for that Ride - that is an aweomse app to have.

No problem...

I agree, it is fantastic! I have it set to open/slide out with 1 press of the home key. It is... eh em... <Borat voice> "Very nice!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
<grumpy old man>

In MY day if you wanted to copy a folder recursively with permissions intact, we su'ed to root and issued

tar cf - . | (cd /Volumes/Other\ Drive; tar xpfB -)

And we didn't wanna see all the files it was copying because we didn't CARE about that dag nabbit! We LEFT out the -v option because only a ninny would have all that file dribble scrolling up the screen! We trusted the shell to execute our command, uphill both ways in the snoooow!

And we used Korn Shell or just Bourne, fiddle-dee-dee! csh was for elitist JERKS who wanted to write buggy code because it kept their jobs secure! bash was for PUNKS who were too laaazy to remember the previous command they issued. If you were worth the salt you were made of you wrote scripts that were portable across architectures, but if it was too slooow, you wrote an obscure 3 line C program that was compiled with a Makefile five pages of blue-bar long, linking it with every possible library and include path and then stripped the resulting executable because debugging was for ninnys!

We didn't use that newfangled vi or EMACS either! We used ed on a teletype terminal that didn't have a backspace or delete key! If you were a WANNA-BE you used ex and only THOUGHT you were hard core!

And we didn't have LIINNUXX on that worthless INTEL hardware! We had 25 differnent companies each with their own version of SysV self-compiled on their own proprietary CPUs and they all HATED each other!

And we LIKED it!

Faddle-dee-doooo!

</grumpy old man>

Today we just drag the folder to the other window.

But all that stuff still works on a Mac today. Isn't that great?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Today we just drag the folder to the other window.

Where are we going??? And why are we in a hand-basket????

LOL.
Great post walkerj!

Reaction score
And we didn't wanna see all the files it was copying because we didn't CARE about that dag nabbit! We LEFT out the -v option because only a ninny would have all that file dribble scrolling up the screen! We trusted the shell to execute our command, uphill both ways in the snoooow!
You must be Mel!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
wlakerj, i believe you were using borne shell, like i was and still do. the korn shell is a cross/mix of c shell and borne shell. at least that is how i understand it.

as for editors, i used sed, vi and pico.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
wlakerj, i believe you were using borne shell, like i was and still do. the korn shell is a cross/mix of c shell and borne shell. at least that is how i understand it.

as for editors, i used sed, vi and pico.

Actually, back in the day, the default shell (or at least the shell that the sysadmins of the time defaulted the users to) on the Vax and Sun computers I worked on were csh. They were nearly all running BSD variants. Most of the scripts we wrote were in c shell, unless we really did want to make them portable across BSD to SysV we'd do bourne. I didn't see bourne until I took a UNIX class (as opposed to learning on the job, everyone starts somewhere) and was taught bourne at that time.

It wasn't until a few years later when I got my first Real Job (i.e. one which was outside of Academia where the company sold a software product) that I met the Korn shell. This was after the big UNIX consolidation where all the companies standardized on the System V POSIX stuff and kicked BSD to the Open Source curb. All the various computers running UNIX defaulted to the korn shell even if most of our scripts were written in bourne for compatibility. These would be Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, Sequent Dynix, Digital OSF/1 (later DEC Unix), Data General DG/UX and probably a few others that I've forgotten about. Those numbers have been mergered and acquisitioned down to just a few today, but they all still use primarily the ksh. Korn shells can run bourne shells, but not necessarily the reverse.

It was also at this time that I read in some Big Book of UNIX that someone loaned me that it was not good practice to use the C shell because it was buggy and had some other esoteric issues, so my affair with csh came to an end.

The Linux guys (and gals) couldn't use ksh because some company owned it somehow, and all the big companies could afford to pay this company some license fee to use it, while the OSS peoples were (as they are today) everything-must-be-free (as in beer) mode. C shell was as mentioned buggy, and bourne was too limiting hence came forth bash. There was a 'free' korn shell written (pdksh) but bash could run korn scripts, so it was redundant and everyone used bash, including Darwin which is the under-hood shell for our beloved Macs.

As for editors, I'll freely use whichever is handy or depending on my mood. Sometimes I've got a Finder window drilled down to my text file and TextEdit will do just fine, otherwise if I have a Terminal up and handy I'll cd to the appropriate [folder;directory] and fire up vi. Though if I'm editing a bash script I'll always use vi and occasionally emacs if there is one specific thing I need to use that for. That one specific thing is if I need to program a keyboard macro to do some repetitive thing within a file.

Whew! That's probably more than anyone every would want to know about the shells that run under Terminal or otherwise...sorry about that. :Oops:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No problem. :) I learned using the borne shell. I have for with most of the flavors of unix (IRIX, AIX, sun OS, Solaris, Hp-UX, and some old ones). The only editor I use now is vi, because it is standard on any flavor of Unix. But i know what you mean. I believe the default shell is ksh on all flavors now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
walkerj and Brown_Study, it does my heart good to see that I am not the only one who remembers "the good old days" when the unix shell ruled! Things are better now, but the unix shell is still an old, trusted, and very powerful friend. I turn to it often on my mac. I have Apple X11 loaded, and am such a technogeek that I have good ol' xterm running in addition to that fancy schmancy Terminal.app!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
First ever computer I used in a work environment was running Xenix.

That was a 286, with I think about a meg of RAM, a 40mb hard disk and it had 20 users connected via wyse terminals.

It was surprisingly stable, considering. I was the admin, and I actually can't recal it EVER falling over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ohhh.... another "my first computer" thread? :D

MY first ever computer was an 8086 machine with 512KB of RAM, 256 on the motherboard and 256 on a huge daughter board, a 10 MB hard drive and a serial terminal port and a parallel printer port. It ran a unix knock off called Qunix. Bought it as surplus stock from a local computer company that was going out of business. It was solid as a rock. Like your Xenix experience jonnyd, I don't remember it ever falling over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.