Terminal Question

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a question for you folks who are Terminal experts.

If someone (me for example) purchases a used Macintosh computer. And the previous owner made a bunch of modifications to how the computer looks, operates, or both. Will all of these changes be "undone"...if the hard drive is erased, reformatted, and a fresh copy of the OS installed? Or do/can the changes made with Terminal go deeper than the OS?

I did some internet searching on this...and couldn't really find a clear answer.

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, unless the firmware of the machine was updated, when you erase, format, and install clean, all terminal modifications are gone.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Charlie.:) That is what I thought...and what some of the webpages I was reading seemed to allude to. But none of them actually came out & said a fresh reinstall of the OS would wipe out all Terminal changes.

I purchased a used Mac recently...and the previous owner was telling me all sorts of things they were trying to do, or did, or were thinking of doing to the computer. So I just wanted to make sure all "previous owner" Terminal modifications were eliminated.

I always do an HD erase & reformat...and then a fresh OS install on any used computer I purchase. Don't need any previous owner "baggage" or problems!:)

Thanks again,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.