terminal issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
Hey all,

when i try to change to a super user (su), I am thrown the error message "su: Sorry" as if I typed in the wrong password. The password I am typing in is correct. I tried going into Sys Preferences and changing my password, but this doesn't seem to help at all. When I changed my password I DID exit out of console and go back in. I'm no sure what do do here. Furthermore, when my mac turns on, I do not get a login prompt. I went into Sys Prefs -> Accounts and did not see anything where I can enable this.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Technically, you can't be root in OS X, though you *can* have root privileges. For an action that requires root/admin privileges, use sudo.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that in order to use su you will have to enable the root account. Which is disabled by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
try su <Root user name> instead. (eg. su root)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Technically, you can't be root in OS X, though you *can* have root privileges. For an action that requires root/admin privileges, use sudo.

Very interesting - this will fall under the "you learn something new everyday" catagory lol

I tried logging in as su root and su bokey (my user name), but to no avail. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The root account, by default, is disabled (as rman points out).

To enable it, you have to go into Applications -> Utilities -> NetInfo Manager and choose "Security --> Authenticate" and then "Enable Root User."

(The UNIX geek who's lived inside of me since 1986 is screaming "NO! NO!! NO!!" in my ears as I type this.)

Use these instructions at your own risk.

(There, he went quiet.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Caribiner is right (again :D) Having root enabled can cause you MAJOR problems if you make a mistake as easy as the misplacement of "-" "r" "m" or "f"...

BE CAREFUL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The easiest way to get a root shell without enabling your root account is like this:

sudo su -

exactly like that. Enter your password and you are root, with a full root environment. Note that you need to be an administrator user to do this.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll try sudo when i get off of work -- sudo su always worked to force the scrips to run.

I've been working with linux and mac for a few years and I've done my fair share of "Oh My!"'s lol so trust me i know what can happen! thanks for the info caribiner23. I look at it this way: If you plan out what you're doing first, take your time, and know whats going to happen then enabling root should never be an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.