Target Mode Unreliable

Reaction score
Seagate Hard Drive fails running 10.8 on MBPro mid 2010, would not launch recovery partition, and fails to repair in Disk Utility

1- With the problem drive still in its original machine (MBPro, 10.8), target mode (with FW800) would show the drive in DU but it fails to mount.

2- With the drive in an external case with USB connection, the drive showed in DU as non-repairable but DID mount, and data was copied.

3- The MBPro is not the problem, because with a new drive in the same target mode set up in (1) above, a properly working drive mounted fine in target mode.

4- The FW800 cable is not the problem, because it worked fine with other drives.

5- With the NewerTech universal drive adaptor, the drive failed to mount (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/) .

6- The case that the drive mounted through was this: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express

Conclusion: target mode mounting can be unreliable in troubleshooting, and some cases don't work as expected under certain situations.
I will try Disk Warrior directory repair first and if no luck I will format the drive. My guess is no mechanical damage, but only time and testing will tell.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Conclusion: target mode mounting can be unreliable in troubleshooting, and some cases don't work as expected under certain situations.
I will try Disk Warrior directory repair first and if no luck I will format the drive. My guess is no mechanical damage, but only time and testing will tell.

Probably a waste of time. Since you were able to extract the data from the drive, don't mess with it any longer. Just replace it with a new one and press on. Once a drive begins to act up like yours, it's on its way to total failure.

Reaction score
easy answer.

the seagate hard drive failed they fail like crazy this is why apple no longer uses seagate hard drives in there computers seagate has a issue with firmware corruption where the firmware becomes unstable and you have to flash a new firmware to the drive using windows because seagate won't release a mac version of the seagate firmware update utility so don't bother go and buy a western digital or even a toshiba drive there much more reliable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.