Talking voice in OS X won't go away and is making my Mac unusable

Reaction score
I made the sad mistake of letting my little brother use my iMac and he somehow managed to make it so that everything I do is dictated to me by an agonizing digital voiceover. I can't make it stop, and I can't even use my mac, because doing anything causes this painful flood of digitized syllables to beat into my head. I've been into system preferences and checked the voice settings which all seem to be turned off, he says he just was smashing the keyboard and it turned on. Please help, as I just got my mac and would love to not be tortured by each use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
System Preferences, Universal Access. Turn Off VoiceOver.

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh yeah and there are these black boxes that fill my screen. They don't go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So you've got a talking voice?

Jesus, and I hated having a regular voice!

Trust me, the talking voice is much better than the singing voice. For your own sanity, avoid the singing voice! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.