taking the plunge

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m gearing up to take the plunge (back) into the Mac. I was with it till about OS 9.x when I jumped ship for the PC as it was rolling along its upgrades from 98 to XP. With Vista upon us, I’m done. My next computer has to be a Mac, most likely the iMac 20” 2.16 with 2GB Ram and 256 video.

I refuse to continue with Microsoft and words like “validate” and “authenticate”. I “activated” my operating system when I _bought_ it. I don’t want to be asked if I should “always trust Microsoft” when I’m trying to update my security. I don’t want the latest “hotfix” or to hear on the channel 4 when a new “worm” or “Trojan” virus is threatening. On a 19” monitor I have to _scroll_ through the list of security updates under “installed programs.” “Automatic Updates” are set for 3 AM, I am the “Computer Administrator” and, although it’s not advised, I can “see the contents” of my folders. I’m just not seeing the “Windows Genuine Advantage.” Who would have thought? … a Security Center complete with a Firewall from SpyWare. Oh wait, I’m ok, I just downloaded the latest “Malicious Software Removal Tool.” To what end? Next time I’m asked, “Are you sure you want to delete?” YES! I am sure. I hear with Vista there are several layers of “are you sure” according to your “permissions.” I’m just looking forward to owning and controlling my own computer. Tell me this BS doesn’t exit with the Mac.

I have a few questions for my new iMac:

I like to record Internet radio and sometimes I use the “record what you hear” option. Comes out perfect. Can I do this with the iMac?

Some Internet sites are Internet Explorer specific, don’t ask me exactly which ones, let’s just generalize for a second … for example, my wife is taking some online courses that don’t support Firefox … only Internet Explorer .. and it has to be the updated version at that (thank goodness for auto updates, yeah right). Anyway, Is IE for the Mac any good? I assume there’s a Mac version of Firefox. What’s up with Safari? I’ve read that it’s a nano second slower that IE.

I like Google. Picasa, Google Earth, Google Desktop, Google Talk. Is all that good and available?

Thanks!
Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
INTERNET EXPLORER FOR MAC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

In June 2003, the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit announced that Internet Explorer for Mac would undergo no further development, and support would cease in 2005. In accordance with published support lifecycle policies, Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31st, 2005, and is not providing any further security or performance updates.

Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/internetexplorer/internetexplorer.aspx?pid=internetexplorer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.