Taking over an all Mac Business Network

Reaction score
Hi!

Was just hired as the only IT person in an all Mac environment with about 100 users, all using Macbooks. Currently, these Macbooks are totally unmanaged, they just have local user profiles on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should reign in these laptops? I would like to have all the laptops managed by OS X Server. Can I integrate the local profiles into profile manager? I don't want drastic control, just something simple.

Thanks!

Edit: I have experience with Casper, but I don't want to go that route yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, I will start by saying I am an IT at a large church. We have two Windows 2008 r2 servers that I use to manage mostly Windows computers and a few macs. As of now, since all the macs except one, are mine, they are not joined to active directory but can use the network shares.

I just downloaded OS X server that works with Yosemite. It is very different from Windows 2008 r2 server software - as I am sure you can imagine.

There are youtube videos that might help. I plan to play with it some more but right now I am in the middle of a more pressing project so playing with new software is on the back burner. I actually have some of the same questions you have concerning user profiles and what has to be changed to integrate profiles. Check out the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OS+X+server+for+yosemite

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.