system update

Reaction score
good morning, everyone,

I bought my macbook pro in 2012, it still works very well. But anyway, about a month ago I had to reset it because I updated too much and nothing worked anymore (15 minutes minimum to turn on, almost as much to open a file). Anyway it was painful.
(PS: for the moment I can't afford a new device, neither apple nor other :) )

I'm currently on OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5. I would like to know how far I can go without getting new bugs on the machine please? I don't want to test by myself :D

Thanks ^^

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All 2012 MacBook Pro's can run the latest macOS Catalina (10.15).

As far as "bugs"...sounds like the issues experienced previously were due to user installed software...and not really the macOS. The macOS runs fine.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Which versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS do you have available to install?

Also, can you provide the full specs of your specific MBP?

Screen size?
HDD or SSD?
Retina?
Model year?
Processor?

Just because you purchased it in 2012, it may be a different model year? You can find most of the information if you click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac.... Thanks.

Reaction score
good morning, everyone,

I bought my macbook pro in 2012...
I'm currently on OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5. I would like to know how far I can go without getting new bugs on the machine please? I don't want to test by myself

If you want no problems whatsoever, it's probably best to stick with what you have running now if it works well for you.

If you want to upgrade to the most recent version of the Mac OS that won't intrinsically cause any problems, then I recommend not upgrading any further than Mac OS 10.13 "High Sierra" if your MBP has a rotating disk hard drive (RDHD), or Mac OS 10.14 "Mojave" if your MBP has a solid state hard drive (SSD). Mojave automatically reformats your internal hard drive using the APFS file system, which is optimized for SSD's, and not all that great for RDHD's.

I recommend avoiding Mac OS 10.15 "Catalina" as it will cause all of your older 32-bit applications to stop working, it also automatically formats your internal drive as APFS (bad if it is a RDHD), and it has some bugs that even how haven't all been addressed.

The thing is...if you want to be assured of getting all of the performance that these advanced OS's offer, you will likely have to do what is known as a "clean install". See:

Upgrading To The Latest Mac OS
Upgrading To The Very Latest Macintosh Operating System
Item #6

But....frankly, I'm not sure that you will find doing so to be worth the trouble.

You can download High Sierra or Mojave from here:

MacOS 10.13 - High Sierra - FREE
How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support
Connecting to the Mac App Store

MacOS 10.14 - Mojave - FREE
Connecting to the Mac App Store
How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Be sure to let your Mac download all of the available updates to whichever OS you end up installing.

Also, note that right after you upgrade your Mac to a new version of the Mac OS that it will run a bit like a dog for a few days until everything is re-indexed and cached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
V
Reaction score
Which versions of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS do you have available to install?

Also, can you provide the full specs of your specific MBP?

Screen size?
HDD or SSD?
Retina?
Model year?
Processor?

Just because you purchased it in 2012, it may be a different model year? You can find most of the information if you click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac.... Thanks.

View attachment Capture d’écran 2020-06-04 à 14.48.56.zip View attachment Capture d’écran 2020-06-04 à 14.49.08.zip

I made you some screen shots

krs

Reaction score
French should be no problem for anyone with just these few terms which are similar to English.
Unless you have done some upgrades, this Mac will have a spinner hard drive (HDD) not an SSD and also not a Retina Display.

Highest OS you can go to is the current one, Catalina, as Nick posted (post #2).
With an HDD drive recommendation is High Sierra per Randy's post (post #4)

Looks like you can upgrade both the RAM and also the hard drive to an SSD - which is nice.

OP
V
Reaction score
French should be no problem for anyone with just these few terms which are similar to English.
Unless you have done some upgrades, this Mac will have a spinner hard drive (HDD) not an SSD and also not a Retina Display.

Highest OS you can go to is the current one, Catalina, as Nick posted (post #2).
With an HDD drive recommendation is High Sierra per Randy's post (post #4)

Looks like you can upgrade both the RAM and also the hard drive to an SSD - which is nice.

thank you very much, I'll try to do all that and I'll come back to bother you if I don't make it :laugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.