• Welcome to Mac-Forums. You must Register (free) before posting. To view discussions, select the desired subject forum(s) below.

System Slowdown Promlem

M

macguy

So i am fixing my friends Powerbook G4 667 Aluminum. The problem is that every other day or so it slows way, way down to the point where it is about a 20 Sec. delay for a mouse click or menu dropdown. He has panther installed and continually updates it on a regular basis. he has 512Mb of Factory RAM installed and it just started happening and he has owned for a long time. so i tried the disk permissions to see if repairing them would help and they did for about a week and then i happened again so i repaired it again but this time it lasted for about 3 to 4 days. so now i'm beginning to think that maybe permissions have nothing to do with the problem.

the machine is taking forever to boot. Applications such as Safari and Activity Monitor take up to ten minutes to launch. Response to UI mouse click events such as basic menu selection or clicking icons is a matter of minutes, with the spinning ball of death churning all the while. The machine is basically unusable. Yet window drawing and the like seems snappy enough, so it seems system load isn't a likely factor, and indeed Activity Monitor displays 80% CPU idle, 250MB memory "inactive", 24GB free, 3GB VM size

Any help in fixing this problem would be awsome!!

Reaction score
macguy said:
So i am fixing my friends Powerbook G4 667 Aluminum. The problem is that every other day or so it slows way, way down to the point where it is about a 20 Sec. delay for a mouse click or menu dropdown. He has panther installed and continually updates it on a regular basis. he has 512Mb of Factory RAM installed and it just started happening and he has owned for a long time. so i tried the disk permissions to see if repairing them would help and they did for about a week and then i happened again so i repaired it again but this time it lasted for about 3 to 4 days. so now i'm beginning to think that maybe permissions have nothing to do with the problem.

the machine is taking forever to boot. Applications such as Safari and Activity Monitor take up to ten minutes to launch. Response to UI mouse click events such as basic menu selection or clicking icons is a matter of minutes, with the spinning ball of death churning all the while. The machine is basically unusable. Yet window drawing and the like seems snappy enough, so it seems system load isn't a likely factor, and indeed Activity Monitor displays 80% CPU idle, 250MB memory "inactive", 24GB free, 3GB VM size

Any help in fixing this problem would be awsome!!
Try another HD. My PB15 was exibiting similar symptoms and I swapped the HD. Or you might try booting from an external. It's working perfectly now.

ed724