syncing feeling

Reaction score
Is there a limit to how much music you can store in iCloud? I've been steadily digitising my vynil. Aside from a couple of mysteriously vanishing albums, they have always synced across all my devices. I subscribe to iTunes Match.

I find that the last ten or so albums I have digitised, are not syncing. They appear on my phone and my MacBook Pro but not always with the artwork and the tracks themselves are greyed out. Clicking on them on my MacBook has no effect at all. On my iPhone, when I try to play them I get the enigmatic message: "This song is not synced across your devices. On your Mac, go to Apple Music or iTunes and in Settings select Sync Library." Music does not have a "Settings" menu. Under Preferences/General, Sync Library is ticked (but, interestingly, greyed out on my MacBook).

I keep my music library on a portable drive so I can access everything on my MacBook but there is no way to access these albums on my iPhone. I can't believe that Apple would have allowed me to overfill iCloud without warning me and anyway, a) I can see no way to upgrade, and b) all my devices report that the albums are stored in iCloud, I just don't have permission to access them

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you have enough storage on your iPhone?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Taking Rod's comment, that seems a likely cause.

On your iPhone, Open Settings > General > Scroll down till you see "Capacity" and underneath " Available". Perhaps you could share these two with us please?

As regards Syncing your iPhone, this is done via iCloud. Again, Open Settings > Now Tap on Your Name at the top of the screen. Scroll down to iCloud. This will tell you how much space you are allowed in iCloud. Please give us that figure!

Now Tap on iCloud > Then Tap on "Show All".

This will list ALL your apps and whether they are syncing (On or Off). Scroll down to Music (quite a bit down the list) and see if that is Turned ON. If OFF, then Turn it ON.

We may need to discuss your Mac. The correct way is Open Music app. Then Click on the "Music" icon in the very top menu bar adjacent to the Apple icon . Second option down is "Settings". Click on that. Then Click on "General" and the first item is "Sync Library". That should be Ticked.

If, as you imply, it is greyed out, then we may need to determine why because it should always offer you the chance to Tick the box.

There's a lot to do, I recognise that, but please try to do all of the above and post your answers :)

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Ian. Sorry for the late reply, but I seem to have inadvertently turned off email notifications and a I can't see how to turn them back on again.

There is no "Capacity" under Settings/General but iPhone Storage informs me that I have used 58.5GB of a possible 128.

I have used 229.7GB of an available 2TB. Music is turned on.

There is no "Settings" under the Music icon but there is "Preferences". This shows that Music is synced.

I'm intrigued because, if I log in to iCloud on the web I can see all my pictures, files etc, but not my music

OP
R
Reaction score
Taking Rod's comment, that seems a likely cause.

On your iPhone, Open Settings > General > Scroll down till you see "Capacity" and underneath " Available". Perhaps you could share these two with us please?

As regards Syncing your iPhone, this is done via iCloud. Again, Open Settings > Now Tap on Your Name at the top of the screen. Scroll down to iCloud. This will tell you how much space you are allowed in iCloud. Please give us that figure!

Now Tap on iCloud > Then Tap on "Show All".

This will list ALL your apps and whether they are syncing (On or Off). Scroll down to Music (quite a bit down the list) and see if that is Turned ON. If OFF, then Turn it ON.

We may need to discuss your Mac. The correct way is Open Music app. Then Click on the "Music" icon in the very top menu bar adjacent to the Apple icon . Second option down is "Settings". Click on that. Then Click on "General" and the first item is "Sync Library". That should be Ticked.

If, as you imply, it is greyed out, then we may need to determine why because it should always offer you the chance to Tick the box.

There's a lot to do, I recognise that, but please try to do all of the above and post your answers :)

Ian
Thanks Ian. Sorry for the late reply, but I seem to have inadvertently turned off email notifications and a I can't see how to turn them back on again.

There is no "Capacity" under Settings/General but iPhone Storage informs me that I have used 58.5GB of a possible 128.

I have used 229.7GB of an available 2TB. Music is turned on.

There is no "Settings" under the Music icon but there is "Preferences". This shows that Music is synced.

I'm intrigued because, if I log in to iCloud on the web I can see all my pictures, files etc, but not my music

OP
R
Reaction score
It must be me, guys. The gods of electronic communication have turned against me. It must be something I posted.

All my email options are turned on and messages are not going into my spam filter (sorry, bit of a tangent from the main thread but it saves people explaining to me why I'm not receiving email alerts)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
iPhone Storage informs me that I have used 58.5GB of a possible 128.
That's fine.

BTW, may I assume that your iPhone is of an earlier vintage? I ask because of your comments about "Capacity" and you talk about "Preferences" rather than "Settings". It would help if we knew which iPhone you have, please. And which iOS is it running. The latest is iOS 17.4.1

I seem to have inadvertently turned off email notifications and a I can't see how to turn them back on again.

On your iPhone, go in to Preferences/Settings > Mail > Notifications > Allow Notifications

That's solved.

Please post back.

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
That's fine.

BTW, may I assume that your iPhone is of an earlier vintage? I ask because of your comments about "Capacity" and you talk about "Preferences" rather than "Settings". It would help if we knew which iPhone you have, please. And which iOS is it running. The latest is iOS 17.4.1

On your iPhone, go in to Preferences/Settings > Mail > Notifications > Allow Notifications

That's solved.

Please post back.

Ian
iPhone is running 17.4.1. It's an iPhone 13 (unlucky for some). My iMac is late 2014 so it stopped updating at 11.7.10

I am receiving notifications. I think where I screwed up is that the notifications are not being sent. Something somewhere in MacForums itself.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.