Syncing contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I can sync contacts I input on my iPad or iPhone with each other, but they won't sync with my mac. However if I create a contact on the mac, it does sync with my iPad and iPad.
Using iOS8.1 and Yosemite on the Mac. Had the same problem before the OS upgrades.Can anyone help please.

Reaction score
Same Problem Here

I have the same exact issue. I saw somewhere on another forum that performing a clean install of Yosemite solved the problem. However, someone else replied that it did not work for them. Not willing to go there yet. I have seen this issue posted on a number of Apple forums, but so far no one has come up with a solution that works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please check that you have:

Signed into iCloud on all three of your devices with the same Apple ID; running iOS 8 on your iPad and iPhone; and have installed Yosemite on your Mac. Also check your iCloud settings on all three devices to make sure they're setup properly for syncing.

If you're still having difficulty after doing the above, reboot your iPhone and iPad.

Reaction score
I have tried everything including rebooting all devices (iPhone, iPad and Macbrook). Still only the MacBrook will not sync contacts. My iPad and iPhone will sync, but not the Macbook.

Reaction score
I have a very similar problem. I have a Mac running OS 10.10, and both an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 8.1. Mac Contacts sync to all devices. iPad and iPhone Contacts to not sync to either the Mac or one another. Note that this only happens with Contacts. Mail, Calendar, and Notes sync between all 3 devices just fine. Any ideas???

Reaction score
easy as pie.

contacts only syncs to the devices if you have enabled the feature under iCloud pref in the pref pane so if you didn't enable it it won't sync and be careful with syncing there seems to be a bug in mail and contact syncs because 10.10.1 addresses this issue and fixes it.

the current seeded version to dev fixes mail sync right now and wifi issues

Reaction score
I have enabled contacts, tried every suggestion on all Mac/Apple forums and nothing works. The only thing I have not tried is a clean install of Yosemite.

Reaction score
johnodd4: I’m not following you. On my Mac, Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > iCloud “Enable this account” is checked. Is this what you mean? Also, Contacts > Preferences > Accounts, > tobindia is enabled, as well.

Reaction score
Yes On my Mac, Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > iCould "Enable this account" is checked. Not sure what you mean about Contacts > Preferences > Account > "name" enabled.

Reaction score
Syncing iPhone 4S with OS X 10.9.5

Hello all .... Ladies, Gentlemen and ... others,

As I don't want anything to do with iCloud is there a solution to sync my iPhone 4S and Mac Book Pro "Contacts" OS X 10.9.5?
>> Is there a third party application that I can buy to enable me to sync my OS X 10.9.5 "Contacts" with my iPhone 4s? I do have "Sync Mate" and it doesn't sync my "contacts"
>> Would a downgrade to Mountain Lion enable me to sync my OS X 10.9.5 "Contacts" and "Calendar" with my iPhone 4s?
>> or do I have to wipe my Mac Book Pro and install Linux?
I'm a bit upset as the only reason I bought an iPhone was to be able to sync easily and directly with my Mac Book Pro using a cable. Then Apple wiped "Notes" and now this !! I'm well over 70 and at my age I don't relish the task of getting my head around Linux, but if Apple insists, and no-one can help, I will have to do just that.
Thanks in advance for any input
Garoolgan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just a question to further things along: Do you need the over the air synching provided by iCloud? If not it should be possible to sync things via iTunes and a usb connection. There should be some other alternatives besides going the Unix route.

Reaction score
Slydude,
Thanks for your reply.
I do not want to use iCloud but a "normal" sync with a USB cable connecting my iPhone 4S and my Mac Book Pro.
Apple has apparently made this impossible for OS X 10.9.5 users, obliging them to sync using iCloud.
So my questions are from easiest (I hope!) to worst:
>> Is there an app. that would enable me to sync with a USB cable ("Sync Mate"which I have, syncs the rest but not "Contacts")
>> Would a downgrade to Mountain Lion enable me to sync as I've always done?
>> If all else fails I'll quit Apple and install Linux but I don't fancy at my age having to learn a new OS.
I didn't appreciate losing "Notes" a while back (that was my first negative "Apple surprise" and now this. I really feel that Apple think they are God and make us all run around in circles so that they can have a laugh!
Garoolgan

C

chas_m

1. You can still sync contacts locally using iTunes in exactly the manner that it used to be done. I believe that ability was absent for a while, but it was restored in an update quite some time ago.

2. I simply have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about regarding Notes. It never went anywhere on either iOS or OS X, and in El Capitan received a considerably beefy upgrade that has given it all kinds of new improvements. It's simply vital to me.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can confirm that in El Capitan when you connect your iPhone via USB to your computer you can sync contacts and calendars in the usual way. By default contacts on the mac are updated by the phone but you can still do a one time replace contacts on the phone with contacts on the computer.

Reaction score
Thanks for all input.
A reply to Chas_m: Notes still exist but for some unknown reason weren't part of the normal sync, at least for a while. There was a lot of complaints about when Apple changed the Notes location in their OS and I changed my way of working (and suggested it to others) by creating a "Notes Group" in Contacts which is what I still do, so I have no idea what has happened since.
A reply to Rod Sprague:as for syncing contacts I've just this minute created an "AAA Test Contact" in contacts on my Mac Book Pro and tried syncing with iTunes and Sync Mate. this test contact was not copied to my iPhone. Sync Mate is set to copy the most recent update (and creation) both ways and returns a "Failed" for contacts. Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.9.5 and iPhone iOS 9.1.
I also find this incessant upgrading of OS X trying. I've kept some programs from before I retired and they will become obsolete with this constant upgrading and I'm now as a pensioner not affluent enough to keep buying new additional programs. I'll probably have to migrate to Open Office soon as it is.
Does anyone know whether Mountain Lion is also "infected" with this "sync blockage" for contacts?
Garoolgan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm having difficulty understanding why you apparently can't sync contacts on your two devices via a USB cable and iTunes. It seems you're running Yosemite on the Mac and iOS 9 on your phone.

I'm just wondering if either SyncMate ( of which I have no experience) is the problem; or whether in iTunes, you have not checked the box "back up to this computer " and instead mistakenly checked the box "back up to iCloud"?

Because the process of syncing your iPhone with your Mac through iTunes is well established and easiest via a USB cable connection.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sorry. Just noted you are running Mavericks not Yosemite. Nevertheless it should work exactly as I said above.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
To quote myself, "By default contacts on the mac are updated by the phone but you can still do a one time replace contacts on the phone with contacts on the computer". ie. if you add or edit a contact on your phone and sync via USB to iTunes changes will occur in contacts on your laptop. Not the other way around unless you select it at the bottom of the contacts page in iTunes (or use iCloud sync). As for your other app SyncMate I can only say running two applications that do the same thing only muddies the water and may well cause problems.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Create a Test Contact on your iPhone, connect to iTunes and check if it's now on your laptop as well. If not we will go from there.

Reaction score
Rod Sprague,
Thanks for your feedback. I've followed your suggestion and created a test contact on my iPhone then synced with iTunes (and, as it didn't copy) with Sync Mate as well, after which it still didn't copy. FYI the reason I purchased Sync Mate is that I kept losing my personal Ring Tone when syncing with iTunes. Since I've used mainly Sync Mate my personal ring tone has stayed in place. As I don't use iTunes for what interests Apple = buying and storing music and the App Store, a simple sync program is all I need.
By the way my iTunes is set to Backup to this computer.
As for this Mavericks "blockage" I found out that it was an "Apple thing" by reading up on the Internet where one site said that Apple were sitting tight unless many people complained about having to use iCloud. What surprises me is that some people say that they can sync with a cable under Mavericks ........... I am not a genius by any means but I did work as a computer tech (with Windows) at one stage, on the other hand, I don't consider myself a complete idiot either.
Garoolgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.