Synch iPhone by WiFi (OS 8.1 to iMac Yosemite)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27, iPhone 6+, iPad Air 2, Ipad 2
I have the above option checked off, but my iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone 6+ unless I plug it into the USB port of my iMac to synch. It used to work OK. It is plugged in to a power source.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to be signed into iCloud with the same AppleID and password both from your iPhone 6+ and iMac to sync. I have my iPhone, iPad, and iMac setup that way and I can sync all three while on WiFi.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am signed in with all my Apple devices to iCloud with same login. As I mentioned, the synch works sometimes!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated "it used to work OK", not sometimes.... so what has changed if you're properly signed into iCloud? Is your connection and the signal the same? Is your WiFi signal steady on both the iPhone and the iMac? No dropouts?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem started surfacing a few months ago, even when I had my iPhone 5. (I recently upgraded to a Six Plus. It started happening with late version of OS 7; I have always kept up with OS updates! When I restored my 5 to my new Six Plus, it happened a few times, then after a reset on the Six, it has worked OK for three days, so I am keeping my fingers crosses and will post follow ups. Rebooting the iPhone did and does seem to allow WiFi synch immediately after the process. All my other hardware and software, including iCloud, WiFi, my iMac Yosemite etc. are working fine and are up to date. All other functions except Handoff work, but my iMac is late 2011 vintage and that is expected. My iTunes is also up to date, but this started with prior releases.
Maybe the issue is gone, but I am not sure yet...will update!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, keep us posted. Sounds like you've done everything correctly so let's hope the problem has resolved itself.

C

chas_m

I have the above option checked off, but my iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone 6+ unless I plug it into the USB port of my iMac to synch. It used to work OK. It is plugged in to a power source.

Either I'm missing something, or you've answered your own question. If you've checked the option OFF (ie, unchecked it) then of course it won't work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, my iPhone WiFi synch seems to be stable now. Interestingly; I bought my wife a new iPad Air2 and it came with OS 8.1 installed. I used a backup from my older iPad to get all the apps etc. on the new one and checked all the settings. I checked off WiFi synch on iTunes on my computer, but could not get my iPad Air to appear with the iPhone. I seemed to have resolved the issue by resetting the iPad with Home and Power button, and then had to re-enter the "synch with WiFi" on iTunes, as it mysteriously had disappeared. I restarted iTunes and both devices now appear. I hope it stays that way!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, sounds like the Gremlins have gone. Have fun and keep us posted if you run into any more problems. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.