Sync folders

Reaction score
I want to be able to sync my Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Movies, and Music folders between my two computers across the web. Is this possible and how do I do it?

zahadat nima

M

MacInWin

Yes, it's probably possible. Now what we need is for you to read the thread linked in my sig and post back with the information we need to see how it's possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK. Hopefully I understand what it is you are asking.

Two computers, iMac 2010 and MacBook Pro Retina 2012. Both running Yosemite, clean install. Would like to sync the Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Movies folders between the two over the Internet, securely. Would like to know how this can be done. Happy to purchase an app or write a script using automator etc. as long as I can get some guidance.

Many thanks.

M

MacInWin

There are lots of ways to accomplish it. Dropbox is one, or Box, or any of the cloud storage facilities that do automatic sync. ("Securely" is up to you, of course. If you REALLY want security, encrypt what you share so that what traverses the Internet has some measure of security. It's a PITA to then unencrypt, but when you throw in "securely" you open Pandora's box...)

If you are willing to do it manually, not automatically, AirDrop can be used to move changed files.

Finally (from me, anyway) there is a tool called Shronosync that will sync whatever you want between two machines. We use it to sync the mail boxes between an iMac and a MBP. The traffic stays in our network, not traversing the Internet, so security is better, but that also means that it ONLY works in our home network. Chronosync CAN be configured to traverse the Internet, according to the developer site, but I've not done that and cannot address how well it works.

I suppose cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper+ could be configured to sync on a regular basis but again, I've not done that, either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.