Swopping Apple IDs?

Reaction score
Apologies for a daft question … !

My wife and I both have Apple Devices and two different Apple IDs. Supposing I signed out on my iPad and she did the same on hers. (No jiggery-pokery in view here … just a point of benign interest!) What would happen, if she then signed in on her iPad using my Apple ID and I did the same on my iPad using hers.

As I say … no intention of doing this … but would such a manoeuvre cause total chaos?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
May I express my contribution by giving you my experience?

Some years ago, my wife had an iPad and an iPhone, bought by me and directly linked to my Apple ID.

My Apple ID also included, at that time, my Mac, my iPad and my iPhone.

So ALL the Devices in our home were linked to MY Apple ID. This can work and, indeed, worked for about 4 years including, in that time period, replacement iPhones and iPads for both of us.

But to achieve this and have it work properly, it meant that HER Devices were, as far as Apple was concerned, MINE. For example; her iPhone and my iPhone had to be set up such that all phone calls and all Messages went to her exclusively and ditto all my calls/messages went only to me. I set things up such that if I my wife could call me from her iPhone (technically mine) to my iPhone (again mine). No big deal, but just something else to do.

It can be done: obviously as we did this!! But it does take quite a bit of effort to separate Messages and the like. I could certainly walk you through the requirements which are more time consuming than difficult.

All of the above relate to iDevices. Having both your computers linked to your Apple ID, is tricky and more or less, means that you have to be careful about apps, Messages and so on because you, and only you, have access to the App Store. A touch complicated. But doable.

BUT: there's another way round all this: Why not at least keep your Computers linked to her ID and your ID as just now. What you could then do is you SHARE things like Calendars, Photos, Music etc with her Mac.

I've said enough. Think very carefully about Plan 1 - everything on your Apple ID and think about Pan 2 - at least for Computers, keeping them linked to your/her ID.

I'll try to help you all I can with either scenario.

Ian

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Ian, for that comprehensive reply.
Interesting, to read about the complexities of Apple IDs.
In fact, we don’t plan to mess with the IDs … the question was posed out of curiosity.
Your point about sharing calendars is a good one … but photos and music will definitely remain linked to our individual IDs.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.