Switching the other way?

L

lokerd

Hello all. My supervisor asked me today how I felt about switching to PC...I told him that I was ok with it. Am I wrong?

I started on Mac in 1990. Bought my first Mac in 1991 and was a die-hard Mac loyalist...standing around at Best Buy in 1996 volunteering my time to help people by Macs. I taught on Macs from 1992-1997. When I left teaching, I went into private industry with a company that had proprietary software that required a PC. So, I grudgedly bought one (1997). Over the next couple of years, I was drawn more into the PC world, and finally sold my last Mac in '99 or thereabouts. I am currently working on a XP laptop and actually like the system...MUCH more so that 98 or ME.

Anwyay, a couple of months ago, I returned to teaching...the same position I taught from 92-97: photography/desktop publishing.

The class is a High School class in a low economic school. Most of the students do NOT have a computer at home. If they do, it definately is NOT a Mac. In my school, there are NO other Macs, with very few in the district...mostly from the ones handed down from the 601 PowerMacs I bought back in 95.

The question is right now that the lab desparately needs to be upgraded. We are in the process of upgrading to digital photography and photoshop needs upgrading, but the computers need upgrading. We have 15 G3 iMacs at 233, and 5 eMac G4 at 800. I just learned from here that OS 10 is a no go on the iMacs...and I canceled the order.

The point is that the lab needs upgrading. In January, money will be available to upgrade the lab to whatever I request, Mac or PC.

At this point, I am not convinced why stick with Mac. I don't like OS10...it seems slow, even on the new G4s. Photoshop drags bad.

So, why stick with Mac under the circumstances? The students will NEVER use a Mac again, and I am already having to overcoming learning challenges and unteach the little bit of experience they may already have from some PC experience. I am even going to abandon PageMaker in favor of Word becuase it being unrealistic that they will EVER use PageMaker again.

On the positive side, I don't want to develop materials all year long, and then have to turn around and redevelop them again for PC, so if the thoughts are to stay with Mac, then that will be great, wtih less work...unless of course I upgrade to OS 10 with the new computers, and have to redevelop everything anyway.

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!
Drew

OP
H

hokiethang

lokerd said:
Hello all. My supervisor asked me today how I felt about switching to PC...I told him that I was ok with it. Am I wrong?

I started on Mac in 1990. Bought my first Mac in 1991 and was a die-hard Mac loyalist...standing around at Best Buy in 1996 volunteering my time to help people by Macs. I taught on Macs from 1992-1997. When I left teaching, I went into private industry with a company that had proprietary software that required a PC. So, I grudgedly bought one (1997). Over the next couple of years, I was drawn more into the PC world, and finally sold my last Mac in '99 or thereabouts. I am currently working on a XP laptop and actually like the system...MUCH more so that 98 or ME.

Anwyay, a couple of months ago, I returned to teaching...the same position I taught from 92-97: photography/desktop publishing.

The class is a High School class in a low economic school. Most of the students do NOT have a computer at home. If they do, it definately is NOT a Mac. In my school, there are NO other Macs, with very few in the district...mostly from the ones handed down from the 601 PowerMacs I bought back in 95.

The question is right now that the lab desparately needs to be upgraded. We are in the process of upgrading to digital photography and photoshop needs upgrading, but the computers need upgrading. We have 15 G3 iMacs at 233, and 5 eMac G4 at 800. I just learned from here that OS 10 is a no go on the iMacs...and I canceled the order.

The point is that the lab needs upgrading. In January, money will be available to upgrade the lab to whatever I request, Mac or PC.

At this point, I am not convinced why stick with Mac. I don't like OS10...it seems slow, even on the new G4s. Photoshop drags bad.

So, why stick with Mac under the circumstances? The students will NEVER use a Mac again, and I am already having to overcoming learning challenges and unteach the little bit of experience they may already have from some PC experience. I am even going to abandon PageMaker in favor of Word becuase it being unrealistic that they will EVER use PageMaker again.

On the positive side, I don't want to develop materials all year long, and then have to turn around and redevelop them again for PC, so if the thoughts are to stay with Mac, then that will be great, wtih less work...unless of course I upgrade to OS 10 with the new computers, and have to redevelop everything anyway.

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!
Drew

Its certainly an interesting conundrum. I am going to speak with experience in administrating labs, even though thats probably not what you will be doing, but I find it a lot harder and more time consuming in the day to day administration of the labs I am responsible for. I work in a collegiate setting, so I could only imagine what high school students could do to a PC. We also have here on campus a lab with over 800 iMac G4s (17 inch LCD) which is run by one admin, he sets the machines up and they are ready for use.

Which version of OS X are you using? I recently ran through the upgrade path on a couple of machines I am going to throw into my lab as a test to plan for future purchases, and 10.0 - 10.2 did seem to be fairly slow. After applying the patches to 10.2 though on the Power Mac G4 466, it seemed to speed up and be very usable.

Also, I agree, Page maker is on its way out, but Word X is pretty close if not exactly like word on a PC, so the students shouldnt have a problem learning that. Diversity in environment exposure is good. If I had a chance to use a mac in high school, I would have been more open to them before coming to college, and possibly wasted less money in building a PC.

The ultimate choice is up to you, but from my experience the stability and the lack of daily administration is definitely where the mac stands out. I find it hard to crash my mac (even tried intentionally a couple of times to no avail), where my PCs in my lab, do it on a daily basis (with people who supposedly know what they are doing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
This is slightly off-topic, but they aren't going to throw the Macs away when they upgrade, are they? If so, please let me know before it happens - I'd like to "rescue" a few. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
If you have the choice to choose between PC or Mac, why not go with Mac? I don't know how much funding you could have but a high end G4 can handle OS X fine I'm sure.

There's Office X for Mac, so you wont miss out from that. You'll have less crashes, less viruses/trojans to worry about from your High School students. And you shouldn't have to worry too much about drivers when you switch to Digital Photography.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Wow..

lokerd said:

Well let's try to figure that out.. and in the end.. only you'll be able to know whether you were wrong or not :)

lokerd said:

I completely agree.. it's a huge improvement over past Windows OS's and over Classic Mac.

lokerd said:

I've heard this stated many times from several different sources and I just don't understand it.. Are you not trying to get these kids ready for the real world? I never had a computer at home growing up.. and I am on a mac now way past highschool and college. If you are teaching photography and desktop publishing you should do it on a Mac.. most all the big named photographers use a mac and many of the mid to no named ones do also. Desktop publishing.. i would do indesign or *sigh* QuarkXpress since that is what the big companies use. Your best bet is call around the city that you are teaching in.. and where a lot of these kids will probably be looking for jobs eventually and find out what they are using and what platform they are using. This will give you a great idea of what the community is using within that certain field in your city.. Remember, with teaching, the bottom line is your kids and how you can best get them ready for the "real world".

lokerd said:

Plus with digital photography at least I know with my laptop.. it's just plug and play and the software for photos on Mac OS X is free, and great!

lokerd said:

What version of OS X are you using? I only have a 667 and it's so much better than OS 9.. I have no problems with Photoshop either.. it runs much better than on any of the my classic machines that I had.. or currently have..

lokerd said:

I don't understand why they would never use a mac again? If that is true and you know that.. then of course PC's are the way to go, but I just don't understand how you would know that.. especially if they do pursue photography and/or desktop publishing, graphic design, graphics technology, web design, etc etc.. I agree about PageMaker since I don't think it even exists anymore :) Now InDesign that's another thing.. many production shops are using InDesign.. I even worked with a company that did all their layout in Freehand.. which I fought with at first, but then after awhile I realized it was a really smooth way of working.

I think it comes down to what I had mentioned above.. find out what the community is using in those fields that you are teaching.. and teach with those tools.

I really hope you don't find what I said harsh or take it the wrong way.. it's the way I feel and the way I keep telling people whenever I hear this quetion.. It's the problems we had when I was in college and taking graphics technology.. I had administrators who wanted to just get one type of computer and go with it, but then I had a really great teacher who brought people in from the community and had them lecture, and he tried to emmulate the working environment that they had in the "real world". And he fought with those administrators giving the points that I outlined above.. and I am so so very thankful that he did. If he hadn't I would not have been prepared for the places I worked after college.

You can't fully prepare someone for the "real work world", but you can help them along or hinder them. Forget the PC/Mac debate.. there is no reason to have it at this point.. the debate is teaching young minds and preparing them for their vocation... and how you can best do that.

Cheers!

Rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah.. and like Padawan said.. if your school is going to get rid of those macs.. I am most definitely interested also :)

OP
F

Fomer

Well I have some "food-for-thought" :) Microsoft was responsible for that huge worm virus that went out. I knew some people's computers who it completely messed up before they ever had the chance to fix them.

Before I switched I owned a Dell Demension 4400, 1.2 gigs, Norton Anti Virus and built in Firewall. Through the year and half I owned the computer I recieved roughly around 400 viruses. Mind you this is with a Anti Virus. And I coincidered myself a safe user I didn't download anything and everything, I rarley used filesharing and when I did it was to download a few (legal!) songs. I ran Norton every Friday and it would find anywhere from 2 - 4 viruses.

From the sound of things your computers are of importance to your class, so if they were to recieve a virus and you lost a couple that would take a toll on things. Where as you've probably never had that problem on a mac. :)

And as far as photoshop lagging, I am on a powerbook g4 and my photoshop loads with in seconds. My Dell took around 2 minutes to load.

I am not going to try and covince you to stick with mac, I read your story and see exactly where you are coming from, I just wanted to remind you of how virus prone Windows is.

OP
L

lokerd

Murlyn said:
You can't fully prepare someone for the "real work world", but you can help them along or hinder them. Forget the PC/Mac debate.. there is no reason to have it at this point.. the debate is teaching young minds and preparing them for their vocation... and how you can best do that.
Rick

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am not throwing in the towel on the Mac...yet. I did make a pretty strong case for going ahead and switching yesterday...but my supervisor would understand if I came back with some definative feedback and research. Oh, and regardless if I switch, the current lab will be transferred to a middle school lab.

I think the key here IS preparing them for the real world. At least in Southeast Texas, in Beaumont, a city of about 100k, about 90 miles east of Houston, there is VERY little Mac acitivity. I was one of the strongest advocates, which is part of the reason why the Mac lab is even here. The problem is that even the local industry has TOTALLY left Mac. The city newspaper has them You can't buy them at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Mac or Office Depot, and that is it for technology in the store. There is an Apple Dealer here, but the average person is not going to go looking for them...they are going to walk into Best Buy and buy! Apple made a HUGE mistake when they lost the BB program. When they had iMacs there at first, Apple had a fighting chance. And if even ONE, JUST ONE major store had Macs for sale, I would be FAR more likely to justify to stay. But the reality is that they are VERY, VERY unlikely to ever use another Mac computer again. If we were even in Houston, I would think differently, certainly in San Fran or other cities with high concentration of Macs.

I mean, the likely hood of any of my students pursuing a career in photography or computer design is VERY few. I have had a few over the 5 years I have taught this class go directly into design. And I push the issue during the course of the year as a resume builing strategy. But things have changed. The school demonographics has changed for one.

I understand about the viruses, but I guess I have been very lucky as I have only had a couple of viruses ever, and I knew exactly who was doing the activity to get cause my office Network, and I had it contained pretty quickly. I know Macs. I think it is important to reiterate that I am teaching in a lower economic school. I am not using that as a slam or anything. On the contrary, the students level of computer competency is VERY low.

And as far as students messing up the desktop, does XP implement a MultiUser enviroment? Isn't there something like Remote Desktop? If you all suggesting that there is no way to manage each machine remotely? One thing I was VERY disappointed to find out about is that the software for At Ease for WOrkgroups was not compatible with Apple Share 6.3.1. In just a couple of days, I will have OS 10 Server and Apple Remote Desktop. I am REALLY hoping it answers some management challenges that I am having right now as I get the lab up to speed from reformating every computer over the summer. It is a time consuming process to manage 20 computers. If PCs do not have some sort of remote management, that is CERTAINLY a reason to stay.

Thanks for any adiditonal feedback. If I am to go back on what I jsut told him yesterday, I am going to need some meat!

Thanks!

OP
H

hokiethang

lokerd said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am not throwing in the towel on the Mac...yet. I did make a pretty strong case for going ahead and switching yesterday...but my supervisor would understand if I came back with some definative feedback and research. Oh, and regardless if I switch, the current lab will be transferred to a middle school lab.

I think the key here IS preparing them for the real world. At least in Southeast Texas, in Beaumont, a city of about 100k, about 90 miles east of Houston, there is VERY little Mac acitivity. I was one of the strongest advocates, which is part of the reason why the Mac lab is even here. The problem is that even the local industry has TOTALLY left Mac. The city newspaper has them You can't buy them at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Mac or Office Depot, and that is it for technology in the store. There is an Apple Dealer here, but the average person is not going to go looking for them...they are going to walk into Best Buy and buy! Apple made a HUGE mistake when they lost the BB program. When they had iMacs there at first, Apple had a fighting chance. And if even ONE, JUST ONE major store had Macs for sale, I would be FAR more likely to justify to stay. But the reality is that they are VERY, VERY unlikely to ever use another Mac computer again. If we were even in Houston, I would think differently, certainly in San Fran or other cities with high concentration of Macs.

I mean, the likely hood of any of my students pursuing a career in photography or computer design is VERY few. I have had a few over the 5 years I have taught this class go directly into design. And I push the issue during the course of the year as a resume builing strategy. But things have changed. The school demonographics has changed for one.

I understand about the viruses, but I guess I have been very lucky as I have only had a couple of viruses ever, and I knew exactly who was doing the activity to get cause my office Network, and I had it contained pretty quickly. I know Macs. I think it is important to reiterate that I am teaching in a lower economic school. I am not using that as a slam or anything. On the contrary, the students level of computer competency is VERY low.

And as far as students messing up the desktop, does XP implement a MultiUser enviroment? Isn't there something like Remote Desktop? If you all suggesting that there is no way to manage each machine remotely? One thing I was VERY disappointed to find out about is that the software for At Ease for WOrkgroups was not compatible with Apple Share 6.3.1. In just a couple of days, I will have OS 10 Server and Apple Remote Desktop. I am REALLY hoping it answers some management challenges that I am having right now as I get the lab up to speed from reformating every computer over the summer. It is a time consuming process to manage 20 computers. If PCs do not have some sort of remote management, that is CERTAINLY a reason to stay.

Thanks for any adiditonal feedback. If I am to go back on what I jsut told him yesterday, I am going to need some meat!

Thanks!

There are remote management systems available for PCs, none of them are really as nice as what you would find with apple's tools. The stability of OS X also can not be overlooked, it seems that it would be a good environment for students to use, as it is somewhat easier to use than PCs and much harder to break. That would seem ideal for students with lower computer competency. Windows XP doesnt really have a remote desktop capability out of the packaging, well not one that is entirely useful. Windows XP does provide a Multi-user environment, but then you have to get into the whole mess of creating user names and accounts and such, as well as no guarantees on the safety of your settings, it really doesnt seem worth it (at least to me).

On a side note, Best Buy is bringing back the macs, Our store here in Roanoke has them. And just because there is a chance that no one will ever use them again really isnt a reason to switch to PC. Use whatever will make things easier for you, because the software really doesnt change drastically from Mac to PC. I think teaching someone how to use a mac is a lot easier than teaching them to use a PC, but thats just my opinion. I still believe that using what the pro's use may be a better option for what you want to do, so that students can really decide if this is what they want to do. Why give them tools that are not used by most of the industry and expect them to get interested? If they arent interested in the first place, the choice between mac and PC won't matter, but for the few that do really get into it, having the experience with the mac would be invaluable.

OP
F

Fomer

lokerd said:

Thanks!

Can't tell you what or how good it is, but I know there is remote desktoping with windows, that's what my old high school computer teacher used and this was Windows 98 so I am sure XP does.

OP
H

hokiethang

Fomer said:
Can't tell you what or how good it is, but I know there is remote desktoping with windows, that's what my old high school computer teacher used and this was Windows 98 so I am sure XP does.

it was probably some third party software or hardware. Win2k server was the first microsoft product to include a remote desktop feature as part of the OS. Windows XP offers remote desktop, but is a pretty clunky and resource hogging design, the way it was re-worked for server 2003 makes it a viable remote desktop, but then again its a Server OS so it costs much more.

OP
K

kundan

lokerd said:
The problem is that even the local industry has TOTALLY left Mac. The city newspaper has them You can't buy them at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Mac or Office Depot, and that is it for technology in the store. There is an Apple Dealer here, but the average person is not going to go looking for them...they are going to walk into Best Buy and buy! Apple made a HUGE mistake when they lost the BB program. When they had iMacs there at first, Apple had a fighting chance. And if even ONE, JUST ONE major store had Macs for sale, I would be FAR more likely to justify to stay.
I'm not realy sure about the state of things, but the Best Buy near my house (near 23rd street and 6th avenue, New York city) has all the Mac models in store. Maybe they are starting to sell Macs?

I switched to mac about a year back, and have to use PCs at work, but I still like the relaxed feeling of working on my iMac - like watching a movie in a good leather recliner. No virus, no reboot every day, native Unix shell to kill bad programs, native telnet - I even like the Microsoft products for mac - like the Office X and Internet explorer - better than the same ones on the PC (like the way you can hide the IE bar).

You've gotta do what you've gotta do, but there's my 2 cents - and my first post in this forum.

cheers :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to the forums Kundan :)

lokerd said:
Oh, and regardless if I switch, the current lab will be transferred to a middle school lab.

Well that's good.. although bummer for us :)

lokerd said:

It sounds like you have done your research and if the professional businesses are using PC's then I would suggest you using PC's, no matter what kind of hassle it is for you.. But if it's just the stores in town that do not have them, then that really is not too much of a reason not to use them. Most everyone I know buys online, or buys through a magazine, etc etc.. saves taxes, saves on lots of things.. the only reason I go down to the Apple Store is because I want to see them and see the new stuff.. not to buy though. And I don't have a lab that I could go to, to test the macs out :) But again if the professionals in your area and around your area are not using them.. then if/when your kids go to work in the industry, statistics show that the majority of them will stick around there and work there.

lokerd said:

That's about normal, but as a teacher.. and I don't want to tell you how to think, but look at it as another way of thinking :) Is you need to act like every single one of those kids are going to pursue a career in photography and/or design and treat them as such. I know my teacher did and those of us that went to that profession, we were very thankful, and those that didnt complained a lot, but every last one of them now are really happy because they have skills that has actually helped them in their profession.. there is barely any vocation out there that can not take advantage of skills in design or photography.. Treat them all like this is what they are going to do for the rest of their life and you are getting them ready for it...

lokerd said:

I don't know about XP and remote desktop, but I do know that OS 10's ARD is great.. works beautifully and I also belong to the ARD mailing list and you know what? It is very very low volume.. it's intuitive, it's easy to use.. not many people have questions about it.. that's awesome!

Anyways you're definitely on the right track and I know whatever decison you make will be a good one.. you've got a good head on your shoulders and Im happy to see teachers like you helping our kids :)

Cheers!

OP
C

CeeMacAddict

I know this is kinda one sided but, I would like to see even in the smallest of citys or towns a place where Macs can grow from there 5% share of the Computer market, where students can see all the advantages of useing a Mac and where more people will use and buy a Mac ;) :D

CeeMacAddict
MacAddict For Life :cool:

OP
L

lokerd

Murlyn said:
I do know that OS 10's ARD is great.. works beautifully and I also belong to the ARD mailing list and you know what? It is very very low volume.. it's intuitive, it's easy to use.. not many people have questions about it.. that's awesome!

Hello. I finally got OS10 Server running along with ARD. I am QUITE disappointed with ARD. I was really hoping the new version was going to allow me to install software. ARD seems to be exactly like the version of Network Security that I was using...only now I can admin the eMacs that previous was not compatible wth the version I had to work with Apple Share 6.3. One thing that they dropped was the ability to control the control panels of the Macs being controlled. Am I missing something or did Apple drop that feature? On the old version, I could go change numerous settings in the control panels. Also, the software install seems to be limited to installing just a single item...not a full fledged piece of software. Again, am I missing something?

Anyway, I was just curious if you knew...actually, I jut meant to ask you where the usergroup was for ARD? Also, do you know of one for OS 10 Server? I am pretty stuck on setting up the new server.

Thanks!
Drew

OP
M

mimmyhonker

Why Stick With Mac?

I think you underestimate your kids. By simply assuming that they will never use Macs, you are condemning them to a life of poverty. Hey, why not show them about Macs, so that they can use them later? Trust me, when you switch to PC, your computer will crash every day, and freeze every ten minutes. You will be wasting time trying to restart the computer rather than teaching. PCs are crap. They freeze and crash every hour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ARD (far right "Join the apple remote desktop mailing list)
Apple Remote Desktop User Guide for Mac (outdated link removed)

XSERVE
tp://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/macos-x-server/

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.