Switch from FrontPage to a Mac program

C

chas_m

Coming back to this thread despite the OP ignoring my original suggestion (after taking the trouble to agree with it!) and coming round to the exact same programs I suggested -- only 2.5 years later ...

In addition to the two I originally suggested, there is EverWeb (http://www.everwebapp.com). Designed to be as much like iWeb as possible, this should also be considered. I suspect that was the program the OP originally called "EasyWeb" in his post ...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro5.1, 12.4 G Int Core2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, SnowLeopard, Windows7, Parallels7
Coming back to this thread despite the OP ignoring my original suggestion (after taking the trouble to agree with it!) and coming round to the exact same programs I suggested -- only 2.5 years later ...

In addition to the two I originally suggested, there is EverWeb (http://www.everwebapp.com). Designed to be as much like iWeb as possible, this should also be considered. I suspect that was the program the OP originally called "EasyWeb" in his post ...

Each product suggested on this thread has been personally checked out by me. Some have been additionally checked out by my co-workers.

I have verified each suggested program's functionality by reviewing relevant forums, if available. That includes those operated by Freeway.

I corresponded with sales and tech people at each company whose product was mentioned as a potential replacement & enhancement for FrontPage.

My research included correspondence with people at Rage Software, which markets its product under the name Everweb, once known as Easyweb. When asked about a function that my sites require, they responded with the following: "We still do not have a date for when this blogging feature will be released. This feature is extremely complex so it is taking us a little longer to complete." Yes, some systems are extremely complex, but a company that cannot determine an estimated, approximate completion date to release a feature it is working on, is not a company I will choose to rely upon. I learned not to rely upon excuses and promises. After all, I trusted Microsoft when I selected FrontPage.

Chas, please trust me when I say that I truly appreciate ever single person who took the trouble to assist me by posting on this thread.

I replied to some posters, such as the person this morning who suggested Dreamweaver, with my specific reasons for not using Dreamweaver.

Chas, I did not ignore your post or suggestion. Why would I? I was in need of assistance, came to this great forum and its sincere knowledgeable people, and need an answer. Ignoring yours, or any poster would be foolish on my part.

Sincerely,
Peter, hopefully not a foolish person.

C

chas_m

I appreciate your reply, but I'm having trouble understanding how "checking out" the two programs I suggested took 2.5 years, and yet there is still no decision on this.

Do you perhaps work for the government? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you perhaps work for the government?

LOL, looks like you can still make it as a "stand up" comedian chas. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro5.1, 12.4 G Int Core2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, SnowLeopard, Windows7, Parallels7
I appreciate your reply, but I'm having trouble understanding how "checking out" the two programs I suggested took 2.5 years, and yet there is still no decision on this.

Do you perhaps work for the government? :)

In June of 2009, I purchased my first Apple after hearing many good reports from friends and business associates who had switched from PC.

Of course my problem would be a serious one: I had developed many sites using FP, so I purchased Dreamweaver concurrently with my Mac.

DW proved to be something not for me so I installed Parallels, Windows 7, extra memory, and FP on my Mac. I ran that way but had always preferred to run native Apple so I never ceased my quest for a native Apple program.

The iWeb program was checked out early on but rejected for lack of functionality.

When I found this forum I started this thread. Over the last 2-plus years, as someone was good enough to offer a suggested replacement for FP, I checked it out for applicability for my projects, reviewed its use with co-workers, and we made the decision which turned out to be the same in all cases: Not appropriate.

So, the checking out of FP replacements has been an ongoing, intermittent task. It never ended. It continues to this day -- and tomorrow.

Today's suggestion to try Dreamweaver was one I could easily answer quickly since I had invested $400 and still rejected the Dreamweaver program.

All suggestions were checked out, and much appreciated, and the decision regarding each -- Yes or No -- was made as quickly as the decision became clear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@PeterSG:

Take a look at the November 2015 issue of Macworld on page 110. The editors have done a nice review of some of the current web development programs that are available for the Mac. Their editor's choice for beginners is "Blocs 1.3" rated 4 stars. After that they list "Everweb 1.8.2" 4 stars, "Rapidweaver 6" 4 stars, and "Sandvox 2" 4 stars. Some others also are listed but are lower rated. Interesting read if you get a chance.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@PeterSG:

Take a look at the November 2015 issue of Macworld on page 110. The editors have done a nice review of some of the current web development programs that are available for the Mac. Their editor's choice for beginners is "Blocs 1.3" rated 4 stars. After that they list "Everweb 1.8.2" 4 stars, "Rapidweaver 6" 4 stars, and "Sandvox 2" 4 stars. Some others also are listed but are lower rated. Interesting read if you get a chance.

Thank you, Chscag.

Blocs is a new one for us. Thanks.

C

chas_m

I wish you the best of luck with your search, but I continue to puzzle as to why you couldn't have simply said "yes, we already investigated your suggestions, and they're not quite right for us," saving everyone a lot of time and effort.

When people come on here and complain about an issue, one of the first things we ask is "what have you already tried" if they haven't provided that information. I trust that if you choose to continue soliciting suggestions, you'll remember this and save yourself and the volunteers who have provided suggestions a lot of time and just let us know what you've crossed off the list.

I might also point out that you or someone on your team could have -- very usefully -- taught themselves HTML and CSS over the past 2.5 years -- it's really not that complicated, and you would then have far more control and customization options when you finally get around to rewriting the sites, which you will inevitably have to do anyway. Indeed, you could have hired someone and had this all done a long time ago for what would likely be a fraction of the value of the time you've spent "investigating" a way to avoid the modest amount of work required. Just sayin'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.